Aurifil thread - top thread breaking HELP

My Milli only likes Glide thread but I have a small wallhanging to quilt and the customer included Aurifil thread so I decided as it was a small project I would attempt a different type of thread.

My sample quilting patch on the edge looked ok so I started.  I am doing McTavishing and the top thread breaks about every 6".  I thought I remembered reading somewhere if you have trouble with the top thread that means something is wrong with the bobbin??  I have checked the bobbin a couple of times and tried to tweak it but the top thread keeps on breaking.  My stitches look fairly good but the breaking thread is a pain.

Hope someone is quilting today who knows about using Aurifil.

You are half-correct with the top/bottom adage. If there is tension trouble or loops you look to the bobbin if it happens on top and vice versa. 

Breaking thread is different.

Sew until the thread breaks and then stop. Raise the take-up lever and carefully bring the thread back the thread path towards the needle. If the thread is breaking above the needle your problem is up top. If it's breaking below the needle, look underneath for the problem.

It could be as simple as unbalanced tension. You can tweak the top tension as well as the bobbin ( your post said you tried to adjust the bobbin case). Top thread too tight/bobbin too loose--both can be adjusted. Or it could be that the top thread is too loose, flailing around and catching on something causing it to snap. Pull on the top thread as it exits the needle. You should have a smooth pull and the U-shaped tension spring should deflect down from a front-on position of pointing at 10 o'clock to 8 o'clock. Adjust the top tension until you get that result. Pull up the bobbin thread and pull on it. You should feel like both threads take about the same amount of pull or force to move them smoothly. 

I hope you find an easy fix and are quilting happily soon!

Hi,

As I just got my Lucey and 4 cones of Aurifil came with it, I was interested in the comments....I have just tried the 40 weight one and did not have a problem with thread breaking...I think I had bottom line in the bobbin and a 4.0 needle....I did a bit of online research and all the hints I could find on the 40 weight was to use a 3.5 or 4.0 needle and on the 50 weight to use similiar thread in the bobbin...so from that all I can think of to suggest is to see what weight of aurifil she gave you and if it is the 50...maybe try a 3.5 needle?  and the same thread in the bobbin?  Also found Aurifil comes in 50, 40, 28, and 12 weights....and I also got a 40 weight sample of poly aurifil which I think is newer...(I like the color..it is varigated and sort of a bronzy grey..weird...I think I will have to make a quilt top to go with it..LOL)..Lin

Thanks for mentioning Sewers Aid.  I had forgotten about that.  Only a couple of thread breaks after putting it on.

I think I had tried everything that was mentioned except for the sewers aid.  Have about 5 minutes to finish but am tired so don't want to press my luck.

Again the forum is a lifesaver.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived