Binding

If you are interested in learning some fancy binding treatments, Ricky Tims has a neat piping binding method that I saw in his Grand Finale video. If you are The Quilt Show member, you can watch the video free through the 31st of March. And this gal has posted a neat tutorial on binding. I'd like to try both of these techniques ... that is if I ever find time to finish any of my own quilts!

http://www.52quilts.com/2012/05/tuesday-tutorial-susies-magic-binding.html

I took a Ricky Timms Machine quilting class at Road to California years ago, and he taught us the piped binding. I have used it ALOT and it never fails to impress! However it has its drawbacks--the mini binding has to be one piece so if the quilt is large, you need four inches by the length of the four sides, and that can be 3yards sometimes! Also the sides are cut separately , the piping takes a while to construct, and the corner construction reqipuires a little practice. That being said I love the way it looks.

I have recently come across another machine binding, called "faux piped binding." I couldn't remember where I saw it, but googled it and found it in the Internet. You use two different fabrics, one a little wider (the "piping" fabric). Sew them together, so that when folded in half and pressed, the wider one shows as a little flange along the edge of the binding fabric. Depending how you press the seam, the contrast fabric looks like a flange, or looks filled like piping. In any case you have a seam to stich in the ditch to help hide the seam on the front. The beauty of this one is that you can piece your fabrics to get the length you need. I haven't tried this yet but am excited to see how it goes.

Archived