Wildflowers ... quilting ideas?

This quilt was made by my very first customer (I started last February). In 13 months, I have quilted 18 quilts for her, and I have numbers 19 and 20 here to quilt! She put a lot of time into this #20 quilt and it's the first one that I'm doing for her that is custom. All the others were pantos. Its the Wildflowers machine embroidery design. I'm hoping to make it special for her.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on quilting it. I'm thinking a small background filler behind each flower but am open to ideas. She does not want any crosshatching. We will be using thread colors to match each block background, so lots of color changes, but the point is to make the flowers the focal. Will a small background fill be okay and not overpower the embroidery? Each flower is on a background that is 9-1/2 x 6 inches.

Or if you have any other quilting ideas, I would love for you to share them with me!

post-5206-0-09116000-1364864083_thumb.jpg

Because of the activity caused by all the vibrant colors and the extra pieced squares within the blocks, I'd probably opt for the same filler in every background. Something very simple that would fill around those extra pieced squares easily. That way what you want to focus on--the flowers--won't be overwhelmed by the viewer's eye traveling all around to take in the quilting. Even a stipple would be a good choice. Sometime elaborate quilts need quiet quilting!

If you're so inclined, the small pieced squares can be SID-ed and left to pop. The sequence could be--filled background behind the flowers. SID the narrow border. Filler used on the main fabric of the next frame with squares SIDed and left unquilted. The narrow border and the small squares would pop, as well as the flowers.

Choices for a background fill--medium-to-small stipple. Denser loops. Repeated paisley a la Darlene Epp. Topo meander--a "worm-y" filler that's very easy and fills awkward spaces well--looks like a topographical map. Pebbles--but that design is labor and thread intensive and perhaps too distracting for this application. You could also echo-quilt the flowers all the way to the seams and then use your chosen filler in the bigger surrounding area.

The quilt is gorgeous and I know you'll do great!

Linda, I really like your ideas for how to treat this quilt. Thank you SO MUCH. I thought about keeping the background fill all the same and forgot to ask, so I'm glad you mentioned to do that. 

Heidi, I like the McTavishing idea. I think it would look really nice and it would be easy enough to maneuver around in the small space. 

Kristina, I really like the topography idea! Sometimes a basic stipple taxes me when quilting it. 

Okay, so three easy great background filler ideas to chose from. Decisions, decisions!

Archived