Using Monolon or similar thread

Hi Everybody

I sure could use some advice on using Monolon.  Linda R???  I've used a straight path from the cone with very loose tension, but It's still not going well.  It starts off OK & then gets messed up.  I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much tension they're using on the bobbin?  Mine reads about 140 using the Towa.

Thanks to anyone who can advise me.

Buttonflower

Definitely need a thread net with that thread.  I run mine pretty loose and I only go through 2 holes in the pigtail prior to the tension disk.  Make sure when you pull the thread through the needle hole it does not curl.  If it curls you'll need to back it off some more.  I don't use the towa gauge so I'm no help there.  

Thank you for the responses re: Monolon.  The cone has a thread net on it -it came with the cone.  I also use just 2 holes in the guide just before the tension disc, using an in & out rather than a wrap around.  Heidi - do you wrap the thread?  Kristina -no, I haven't put it in the bobbin.  I've used Metro, 50 or 60 wt. I think.  I use it top & bottom a lot when I'm quilting freehand and have not had any problems  -lots of charity quilts so it's economical & I like the finer threads. Any other suggestions anyone?

Buttonflower

All great advice! I use pre-wound bobbins set very loose--140 on the Towa gauge is a good start. Then thread with few direction changes--I go up the first hole and down the last in the three-hope gauge above the tensioner. Then when the needle is threaded, pull on the thread towards the back and then let it slack. If the thread is curling, the tension is too tight. Loosen until the thread stops kinking. ( I see I'm echoing Vicki's great advice!) You'll be able to see light between the disks! Test off to the side and adjust if you need to.

I used Monolon for years with much success. Now I'm using the Fil-tec invisible and like it just as much.

Thanks to Linda, Vicki & Heidi for your advice.  I'll do some experimenting once I get done with the three dark threads on cream backing, embroidered quilt.  It's huge too -92" x 112", cornerstone are 5.75, has a 4" stop border and a 11.5 outer border.  Thank goodness it's pretty much square, no D cups or waving borders.  The quilt was designed between the client & a lady at the quilt shop to fit a bed that she no longer owns!  She really is a sweetheart & says she hadn't had any quilting lessons when she put it together and just wants it done.  It's been a real challenge for me to come up with designs that compliment the embroidery & fill in all the spaces while trying to maintain a consistent density in the quilting.  This rookie quilter is learning a lot with this quilt.  Thanks again for all the help and what I've learned from all of the people who post on the forum.

Buttonflower

PS  My name is also Linda, but there are several forum members named Linda so I'll stick to Buttonflower.  The client's name is also Linda!

I use monolon all the time on practice panels and never have a problem.  I don't use it in the bobbin, but the upper tension is loose.  Pull it through and if it curls, it's too tight.  All these were the suggestions from the other members when I started to use it and it really worked.

Another thing I did was put painters tape over the dove on the side of the Millenium.  I found the monolon was getting caught on it and once I taped that part, no problem.

Archived