Quilt in Paducah Museum

Hi everyone,

Here's a good reason to keep posting photos of your work:

A director for the Museum of American Quilter's Society in Paducah was surfing the web and came across my local quilt guild's website. Photos of the winning quilts for the guild's most recent show were posted. The director was in search of quilts to display for an exhibit through March 24 in the museum featuring quilts from the upper Midwest.

She was able to track down the quilt after several calls, and long story short, I can now say I have a quilt hanging in the museum in Paducah. Wish I could claim sole ownership of the quilt, but must also give credit to the piecer, Kathy Hamilton of Ankeny, IA.

If anyone happens to catch the exhibit at the museum, I'd love it if you'd grab a flyer or any other literature about it and send it to me. Photos aren't allowed in the museum, but a brochure would make a nice momento. Thanks!

Dawn Cavanaugh

Congratulations, Dawn! Your stuff was beautiful years ago - can't even imagine it now!

You were our very first quilting instructor. We purchased an APQS Millie - sight unseen! and set up lessons with you thru APQS. We were so totally brain-dead by the end of the day we could barely make it back to our motel (of course with the rivers and rails there, that's another story!!!!!). Glad to say, it all worked out.

Thanks for the great start and again congratulations on your accomplisments.

Kathy Hoverson and Terry Dramstad

QI DESIGNS

Cooperstown ND

Hi Dawn,

I will be going to Paducah in April. I am taking 4 classes and hope to see the museum...and everything else in the time I am there (Wed - Sunday). If I do get to the museum I will definately look for information to send to you. I will get in touch with you when I'm back after the show.

Sandy

PS-Congratulations!

OK, I'm a fan of the Dawn Cavanaugh Club, too. I've only seen her in the APQS video on this web site. Hi! :)

I haven't taken classes from Dawn (maybe some day), and I've heard many times what a great teacher she is and that she totally rocks with her quilting (if I recall she owns "Rockin Bobbin").

Awesome news. Way to go, Dawn! Yes, and please send us a link to your guild web site so we can check out the quilt for ourselves.

No big surprise there Dawn... Your quilting has always been absolutely amazing!!!

How long will your quilt be on display? I live pretty close to Paducah and would be happy to see if there is any literature about your quilt. I will be in Austin until Sunday, then straight to Des Moines until Wednesday... but I'll try to make it to the museum as soon as I return.

Congratulations!!!... Your quilting richly deserves to be displayed there!!

Thanks for the kudos, everyone! I must admit, however, that I'm sure it wasn't the quilting which got the quilt noticed by the museum director, as you can hardly see it in the photo from the guild's website (see below). Its deservedly proud owner, Kathy Hamilton, is showing it off for the camera.

The only close up photo I kept is one which I took so that I could duplicate feathers consistently in different parts of the quilt. So, it might not be the most spectacular quilting job, but I'll gladly ride on Kathy's coat tails for a while!

Dawn

Dawn, congratulations what a lovely quilt & the quilting is superb, a fine choice for the curators.:):):)

I met you here in Australia at the AMQS & talked APQS machines with you, I did buy the Millie and you are right the stitch regulator is the best:D. I hope you had a great time while you were here it's a wonderfull country.:D

If you don't see a photo below, then the third time isn't the charm, and I surrender to technology! It means I can't figure out how to reduce an image so the website will accept it. Where's my college kid when I need him?

If there is a photo below, it must be a fluke, because I don't think I could figure it out again :).

Dawn

Archived