Phil Beaver?

Does anyone know where Phil Beaver has gone or what he's up to? His website hasn't been updated since 2008. I took a 5 day workshop from him in Canmore, Alberta in 2006 and was curious about where he was teaching. Anyone know? LOVED him and his workshop! Libby Lehman was at the Quilt Art Conference the same year, and the news of her aneurysm and stroke got me to wondering about Phil.

I took a class from him also, really nice fella and great teacher.  He certainly made some fantastic quilts.  I sure hope nothing has happened to him.

I sent an email to him.  We shall see if it comes back or we get a reply.

Online info has Phil's age as 73. From what I can find his class info stopped in 2009.

My guild hosted him in 2008 and what a great class! Many beautiful quilts were made using the fabric we dyed in the class. Here's a photo to show some of the beautiful fabric we made.

post-881-0-45806900-1368895317_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

I have a video from Phil showing the exact process, but if memory serves me correctly, these are the steps.

1. Stretch white muslin on stretcher bars.

2. Spray fabric with water until wet.

3. Apply paint. I don't remember the brand we used.

4. Sprinkle on rock salt.

5. Wet again.

6. Let dry.

7. Shake off salt, and cut pieces for assembly.

I've sent an e-mail to the Sugar Pine Quilt Company in Canmore, Alberta. Hopefully, they can give me more information on Phil.

Linda, do you remember how you created the fabric?  How did you get it to flow like that?  Wow.  There are so many cool quilts in that fabric!  I must know more! LOL

Hi Chris--I sent you an email.

I found my notes from class and Darlene is 100% correct and the results are wonderful.

The fabric paint used is Setacolor transparent fabric paint.

Thank you everyone for your willingness to share the information!  I did receive Linda's e-mail and all the information provided by all of you seems to be very similar.  Thanks Teresa for you offer of information.  I know what to do now.  Darlene, the paint is Seta Color transparent paint.  Our art quilt guild is going to do some sun prints with this same paint in June.  The Seta color paint was on sale at Michaels several years ago and I bought all I could find. Boy am I going to have some fun in the sun trying both techniques!  I'll post pics when we are finished with our projects.

I just got an e-mail from Dean @ Sugar Pine Quilt shop in Canmore. This e-mail was sent to the shop from someone last November.

Phil suffered a stroke on Oct 29 that has left him unable to speak and with limited motor control of his right side.

I'm so so sorry to hear this! He was teaching there the same year as Libby Lehman and Ricky Tims.

I think it's time I get out the pieces I made in class, assemble them into a quilt, and get it quilted! I'm using a Ricky Tims hand dye for the background that I bought at the same retreat.

Phil has a real dry sense of humour. I remember him looking over my shoulder the last day of class and saying, "I've seen a lot of chickens in these classes, and I think yours is one of the best I've ever seen. Your leaves however..............are not." And THAT is why my quilt remains unfinished. I have NO idea what's wrong with my leaves! LOL

I did want everyone to know that I had received an email back from him.  I believe he was trying to let me know that his voice is getting better.  He had been in the hospital last year and this year too.  He said that he was 'working' his sewing machine and the best was yet to come! 

I am so sadden to hear of his stroke, but it does sound like he is trying really hard to make the best of things and hasn't given up on his creations.  God Bless Him. :wub:

Archived