Cutie wallhanging

Here's a cute batik wallhanging just picked up today. She had tried to ditch-stitch it herself and had problems with the seam intersections so she brought it to me. With a back only one inch wider than the top. :blink: 

I managed OK with some luck and lots of pins. Simple quilting with Rainbows to match the turquoise/purple/yellow. I love this design and her use of striped batiks is perfect.

post-881-0-55912400-1371760582_thumb.jpg

post-881-0-82721800-1371760606_thumb.jpg

Do tell, how did you manage the backing? Was it only an inch bigger all the way around?

The design is really cool. I like how you quilted it, too.

I had a similar thing happen recently where the gal started to SID on her DSM and didn't like how it was turning out and wanted me to quilt it for her. Unfortunately, her backer was the exact same size as her quilt top and I had her split open the back and add a strip of fabric. It added a lot of interest to the backing. Her quilt was a bed-size quilt so I don't think I could have gotten away with an extra inch! My hair is gray enough, thank you  :P

Hi Bonnie. The backer was 45" wide and lots longer, so I loaded the shorter measurement to the leaders. The top was about 44" square.  I floated the top, having just a scant amount extra at the sides. I used a strip of fabric about 3" by 10" pinned to each edge so I could use the side clamps and made sure the top was all on the backer with each advance. No way would I try this with anything larger!

Archived