Interesting combination

I just received three quilt tops from a new customer. She was in a hurry and didn't want to stay to discuss anything, said she doesn't really like these quilt tops anymore so just do the cheapest thing I can. On two of the tops, she has ironed fusible interfacing on the back of the whole thing. She has also serged the edges so I guess she thought it could be sort of a coverlet without it being quilted (???). She has given me bed sheets to use for the backing. I am worried about quilting a top that has no stretch at all onto a bed sheet. Even if she doesn't care about the quilts, I definitely care about my reputation. Any words of advice?

Thanks!

My question would be 'why would she iron fusible interfacing all over the back of the quilt top?'   If there doesn't seem to be any reason why she would do that, I might be inclined to try and re-heat the fusible and pull it off.

The serged top I think you can do it you go slow and not do any intricate design.  Maybe just an all over open design.

The pairing of a top that has fusible interfacing AND a bed sheet sounds like a lot of trouble.  If you start to run into problems... ie; tension issues, needles breaking .. then I would stop right away and tell her that she needs to Tie the quilt together.

Good Luck....you're going to need it on these quilts :blink:

I don't understand about the fusible on the back, either.  Unless she was worried about seams turning loose.  I would be scared to pull it off, just because it might loosen any seams.

I don't do sheets for backings.  I tried when I first started. The weave is either way too tight or way too loose. The fabric is not 100% cotton, usually. For me it is just not a good option.  You might want to call her and just ask her if she has time to discuss these, then tell her your concerns.

I've not had a bit of problem using a sheet backing, but that may be because I don't let the quilt hang down over the machine.  It is taught, but not Tight.  I also find I can keep it a lot more square by using the tension on the backing, and floating the top.

As for the iron on, use spray silicone on the area you will be stitching.. or a strip if using an all over design that would be worked in strips, not in patches, or the patch you will be working on.  I have also used a dot of Sewers Aid silicone, when I hit a couple stubborn stitches.

Good luck, just do the best you can with what you have.  I'm sure you will do fine.

Do you mean the top has been pinked around the whole top?  If that is such, she was probably pinking to prevent fraying, and it would need a winder binding, or trimmed a bit to fit nicely into a binding.

Rita

"new customer" - not to be a sour grape but I wouldn't want to do any of this without a contract (do it over the phone, or write your concerns and do it by mail).  You have to get her to listen to your concerns, then, if she truly just wants these "quilted as cheaply as possible" just to use them it's up to you.  But in the past, I've learned that so many people mean so many different things when they say "just finish them".  When Linda gets on here - she'll have great advice as the others' above, but me, personally, I'd be careful and don't ever give a new customer a discount or extra work for nothing.  It sounds mean, but to give an acquaintance a break I charged "exactly" by size, no thread or other fees and the amount came to $33.69 and that's what the check was for (right down to the penny I kind of expected $35 or $40?!), I should have rounded up but I'm the kind of person who always tips (even at the drive through if the service is great or they "throw" something extra in). 

I haven't even taken my first quilt yet but I won't take anything without an intake form, signed by the client.  If they don't have time to spend a few minutes with me, I don't have time to quilt for them.  Period. 

Next week I'm going to meet with someone who wants great grandma's quilt simply done for her daughter for Christmas.  It was tied and she wants it quilted.  If I don't think I can do it, I'll refer her to someone who can.  I'm sure I don't have the experience necessary to make something look good if it doesn't start off pretty good from the beginning.

As for these quilts with the fused backing and sheets...I'd have to think about charging by the hour considering the frustration level and gummed needles that would likely need to be changed.

just my .02.

Joan

I think you (as a business owner) reserve the right to choose whether or not you want to quilt this thing. But before you make a drastic decision, I think you should call the customer and talk with her and get more clarity on the quilt top. One thing I woul dbe concerned about is gumming up the needle on my machine, and possibly breaking a needle. What kind of interfacing (fused) did she use? Anyway, this thing sounds a bit weird. 99.9% of the time having a conversation with the client will clear up any confusion, and you both (together) might decide not to quilt it, considering everything. So, give her a call. Doesn't hurt. She'll appreciate it.

Ditto, ditto, echo all of the above, especially Shana!!

You will show how professional you are by contacting this reluctant piecer and pinning down what she really wants and making sure she understands what each quilting job will cost. Inform her of your concerns about the fusible on the back and perhaps hand those back. Maybe she wanted to fuse the batting to the top to make it easier for her to quilt it herself. Puzzling... But it will gum your needle and any frogging will be evident because the needle holes won't close.

You are not obligated to quilt for anyone. If you have concerns, follow your instinct and set these aside until you are comfortable. Maybe ask for a deposit as well. She seems flaky--just saying. ;)

Archived