Horizontal spool holder

Queenanne

Hello everyone,

I'm embarking on an adventure! I pushed one big quilt around under my sewing machine and said 'Never again'. So, a brand new Millie has landed in my front room (she does look like an elegant something from outer space!) and we are getting to know each other.

Now starting to aquire threads and wish the horizontal spool holder had been included. My question- Is it best to order the Hartley holder and can anyone post a picture of what it looks like? I can't see where it would attach or find a picture.

I dont have Quilt Path, but is this not also installed in the same area? and there is just one post.

I read with interest the info on 'what to start out with' and also welcome comments on 'what to practice'.

As I am in Canada, any useful info on setting up wholesale suppliers?

Many thanks,

Anne

I know you are not supposed to do this, but I use spools of thread all the time without a horizontal spool holder. I haven't had any problems doing this with all kinds of thread, I just put the spool where the cone usually goes. Of course my luck with this may run out at any time!

Carol

The following wholesale distributors are located in the greater Vancouver (BC) area. All have websites with contact information.

Trend-tex Fabrics they wholesale fabric (moda etc.) and batting exclusive to them (Arctic brand batting). They are offering free shipping on rolls of batting until the end of July. I'm in BC don't know if free shipping is offered to all provinces.

Contemporary Sewing Materials wholesale fabric and Hobbs batting.

Westrade Textiles wholesale wide backing.

N Jefferson wholesale notions, Warm and Natural batting and Legacy Pellon batting.

Others

HA Kidd (order from Toronto) wholesale Fairfield batting and notions.

George Courey wholesale Hobbs and Legacy batting.

JN Harper (Montreal)wholesale fabric and Quilters Dream batting (exclusive in Canada)

I buy some of my thread direct from Superior Threads (Utah) and Glide from Fil-tec Bobbin Central. I also buy Aurifil thread from Bytown Threads in Ont.

You'll need a GST number to purchase from a wholesale distributor, many have a dollar minimum for your first order. Some offered reduced shipping on my first order.

Leslie

Congratulations on your new adventure.

I hope youre as happy with your machine as i am with mine!

If you plan to use spools of thread, then you should order one from Apqs, or your rep.

I ordered one, installed it, and hardly ever use it cause I always use cones of so fine, rainbows or glide thread.

If you will only use spools occasionally, then you can save the $ and rig one using a pencil, or something similar, and duct tape it to your machine. A styrofoam ball on the end of the pencil would keep it from falling off.

All you need is for the spool to sit horizontally so the thread comes off it without getting hung up on itself.

I have a lot of YLI thread on spools from my previous life as a DMQ'r and recently and impatiently wanted to use one, so I did what has Meg suggested and it worked beautifully. I mostly use cones so now I am not sure when I will get around to buying the real thing! LOL

Archived