What can I try now?

Oh, my first response is a huge hug.  That is so frustrating.

I have an A-1 and it would be timed to within a ______ of perfect, and after sewing for a bit,  boom,  loopies or something.

When I called my dealer she said it sounded like I needed a new bobbin ________  can't think of the correct word.  It's the piece that holds the whole bobbin case etc.

Grumble, spit, etc and finally I ordered it, and waited for it to arrive, 

works like a charm,  any thread, any combination of batting, fabric etc.

Good luck with your machine,  They're like the nursery rhyme And when she was good, she was very good.  LOL

Hugs.

Well (red faced here), I had both the top and bobbin tension so out of whack that adjusting one did nothing but make the matters worse. So, I had to (forget the Towa) do the drop test with the bobbin and then tighten the top tension "to the post." Then I had to test and tighten top until the stitches looked good. I will remember this forever as I had two days of misery! Thank you every one for posting! You Bs my BFFs!

Meg, I had to loosen the bobbin tension enough that the bobbin would stand up straight in my hand but I could not pick it up.  When holding the bobbin and dropping it, it had to rather "rush" down the thread.  Then starting with the top tension you screw the knob until the center post is flush with the outside of the knob.  Then check stitches and tighten or loosen top tension to achieve the best stitch.  I ended up turning the knob two good turns tighter past the flush of the post to get my best stitch (this using Bob's pre-wounds).  This morning all is well in the quilty world.  Whew!  I don't wish this on anybody.  Don't know how I let everything get so out-of-sorts!  I kinda pride myself in being able to get good stitches.  This, for me, was a BFO! (Blinding Flash of the Obvious)! 

Archived