binding question

I have a request for a quilt to be quilted not to the edge so they can fold over the tops edges to the back to make a finished edge. My question is would you stitch the design up to an imaginary line so she can turn the edge or should I make an actual line to finish up to. Hope this makes sense but not sure how to state what I am trying to describe :huh:

Bonnie, I understand what  you're saying.   I do all of the machine quilting for our church group of the quilts that we make and send to the missions.  Instead of attaching binding, the backings are cut 2 - 3 inches larger on each side than the tops of the quilts.  This way I can quilt the tops from edge to edge, then the batting is trimmed to extend about 1/2" - 3/4" and then the excess backing is pressed so that there is a double layer that is brought to the front of the quilt and then top stitched down.  so it looks like a binding from the front but the back of the quilt is all the same.  It works really well.  These are all lap size quilts so easy to work with. 

For the quilt you are talking about, are both the top and the backing the same size?  I suppose you would have to mark how far to quilt on each edge so that you don't go too far.........sounds a lot more difficult that having the backing larger and folding it to the front..............maybe you can suggest this method instead to your customer?

Does it make sense to you how I do it?  If not, let me know and I'll try and explain it more clearly.  B)

Thanks Marilyn, I understand what you  mean and don't think she will want to do it that way because the top has a print and the back is just a solid muslin and she wants the print to show on the back. The back is larger than the top so I guess to make this work I will need to mark the top 2 to 3 inches inside the edge so I don't quilt into the binding area. :mellow:

I'd put on my big girl panties and say........"Sorry! No can do." :wacko: And if you DO decide to go ahead with this "request", then stitch a line marking where your stitching will end and the "binding" will begin on all sides of the quilt. Are you going to bury all the ends? Anything else will really show. This one should get a really big PITA charge! :(

Agreed - separate binding!  It would almost be easier to quilt off the edges, then attach the first round of the separate binding while still on the machine?!  IMHO

Love this for that use:  tool2b.jpg

This shows you how to do it without the tool:

https://www.thegadgetgirls.com/quilting-articles/39-tips-and-techniques/83-tips-about-binding-on-the-longarm.html

Archived