A special photo from Houston Festival

I was admiring a blue-ribbon winning quilt with the artist present, and congratulated Tomoko Endo for her talent and winning ribbon. She speaks no English and simply smiled and bowed. I was touched that she came so far to get such a great award for her untold hours of work. I wondered about her life--how she planned her quilts, what her family was like and if they appreciated her efforts and didn't begrudge her the time she spent on her art. Then I noticed about 15 feet away a man standing against a light pole and watching her intently across the space. His name-tag identified him as her husband, I assumed. I watched him as he watched her. There was no expression on his face--just calm. Then, as a crowd gathered around her, he took out his camera and began taking photos of her and her admirers. I couldn't resist taking a photo of him--the calm man proudly taking pictures of his dear wife. Isn't that great?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/10679899913/

Her quilt is the one on the right. A very intricate applique quilt made with taupe-y fabrics. It was one of several similar original designs of country-style houses and tiny people and animals--all by Japanese artists. It had stunning hand-work and finishing.

Archived