HMQS classes ... which hands-on would be good for newbie?

I'm considering attending next year's HMQS in SLC to take classes. I don't just want to take the lecture/demo classes but also a couple hands-on classes but have no clue as to which ones would be a good thing to try. I've only done four quilts with pantos and did a wee bit of FMQ but that's it so far. I do plan on renting time to just play with FMQ with two plain pieces of fabric (maybe turn them into totes or iPad cases afterward.) I love the modern look of the Green Fairy (Judi) so I'd like to take one of her lectures but am overwhelmed by the choices.

Which hands-on classes should I consider?

I just checked the show info and I am surprised by how few hands on classes there are listed under the names I checked.  I have taken classes from Kimmy Brunner, Dawn Cavanaugh, Pam Clarke, Deloa Jones, Sue Patten and have enjoyed all of their classes.  I am looking forward to taking a class from Myrna at an upcoming show and would love to take a class with Claudia too. Don't worry that you haven't done too many quilts.  In the beginner classes there are usually people that haven't used a long arm before.  It is a great way to try out different machines too while you are deciding on what you would like to get.  I would be careful that you don't sign up for too many classes as it can become overwhelming.

Sue is right; don't take too many classes or you won't have time to visit the vendor mall and the quilt show. I've done this in the past. We've commented to show staff that the vendor mall needs to be open later in the evening (at least one evening) but they say the vendors are resistive. A lot of the classes end after the vendor mall closes or at the same time. I haven't looked over the class list yet, but they do have a lot of good teachers every year.

Since you already have done some quilting, I wouldn't take any 'introduction to longarm quilting.'

Those are usually about loading and stuff like that.

I took a few classes from DeLoa...she is a great teacher, giving clear instruction, is very generous with her time and great for your confidence.

I think she's perfect for beginners.

I also echo the 'don't take too many sentiment'.

I agree wholeheartedly with Meg. Deloa Jones is the one who set me up for my quilting career.  She is all the things that Meg says.  Her thought process on how to begin free motion quilting is very easy to understand for a beginner. Deloas' beginner designs are easy to execute and will help you "see" how to look at a quilt and decide on a quilting design.   Jamie Wallen is another great teacher. Such a kind and gentle soul.  He knows just how to encourage a newbie!

Taking classes from a seasoned teacher will give you the best value for your class fees.   Of all the classes I have taken, only one was a waste of time as far as I was concerned.  Happily, that teacher does not seem to teach so much anymore, so it is not likely you run in to her classes.  My friend and I would consider a class a success if at some point during our class we would turn to each other and laugh and say, "Well THAT was worth the price of admission"!  So be confident that whoever you choose, you will have your "price of admission moment." :)  :)

Just as an aside, I am not fond of hands on classes and much prefer lecture demo classes.  But as you are still looking for a machine, then maybe hands on would be better for you.  Have a great time at the show!

Sally Terry, Deloa, and Kimmy Brunner are all good teachers for beginners. I took Kimmys beginner clas even after quilting for a couple years and still learned some things. Don't do like I did the first year I went, I had that dazed look by the end of the day from taking too many classes. Mybe do a hands on and a lecture demo a day, or swap one each day. You can overbook yourself then by the end of the show you pretty much wasted your money on your last few classes because your brain can't take in anymore.

Take a little notebook with you to try out machines, the first day try them all. Go in with an idea of I think I want this option or that. Write down your first impressions. Later that evening write questions you wish you would have asked. Narrow the search to your top few machines. Narrow the search eCh day. By the end of the show there should be one or two machines you keep wanting to go play with. It's kind of like car shopping, everyone's machine is the best because it is best for them. What is good for Sue, Sally may not like.

How I choose classes is I go thru the catalog and make a list of all the classes I would like to take, then wait a week or so and narrow it down by rereading. Sometimes it comes down to which one in a time spot is more beneficial for me. I struggled with feathers. So one year I focused on feather classes, everyone does them a bit different. By the end I could take bits and pieces from each class and do feathers. Hands on are great, but not all classroom machines are set up perfectly level, etc. the ones on the show room are set up with more attention to detail, so I would recommend drawing classes as well. Since you can practice anywhere and it is muscle memory, if you can draw it you can usually stitch it, once you get the feel for the machine.

Sorry this was so long. Hope it helps.

Shirley

Archived