Pantographs - loosen that death grip!

This is for anyone who struggles with pantographs like I do.  I don't like following lines. I like custom work.

But, I have found pantos a whole lot easier when I loosen that death grip on the handles!  I know I don't have to follow the lines exactly, but still I try.   It's been mentioned on this forum many times to relax when quilting and it's so true. 

(PS: A little glass of wine sometimes helps too. :) )

Those lines are just suggestions, kind of like speed limits.  LOL  I love to do custom work too but the fact is, most of my customers can only afford freehand E2E or pantos and they sure do take less time.  Someone on this forum said that custom work is your reputation and pantos are your bread and butter.  So true!

Sue it could happen, depending on how you regrasp the handles and if you try to tell it which way to go before it begins stitching.

Watch for a little pucker, right by the needle.  Flatening that out with a minute move of the machine, helps a whole log.

Rita

I can't walk and chew gum so walking and quilting is out of the question for me. LOL

I just stop with the needle down then reposition myself.  Seems to work the best for me.

Julie - your statement is so true about pantos being the bread & butter.  I love custom work but it's very time-consuming for me.

i placed a suction cup handle on the back of the machine and that is where the right hand rest. (boobs to big to grasp both handles) Ha. I stand slightly to the left of the machine and rock back and forth and shuffle when weight is on one foot.  Place feet shoulder width apart and one slightly in front of the other.  Kind of like when you do the Baby Rock.

Betty Ann, that is good advice. I stand to the left of the machine using the left handle and really I'm pulling it to me and run out of room. Then I have to reach around to "stop" with needle down. That will cause another blip. I will try to stand behind more than to the left of the head.

Thanks

Debbie

Archived