Help please. Motorized feed stopped working

I had this happen to me last week and then it started working again.   I unplugged it for a week because I was going on a vacation, then when I got back, it wouldn't start up.    Plugged it in,  unplugged,  turn power switch on/off and waited for a 15 sec period between those ons and offs.   Finally, for some weird reason it started up again.  

I think I have read that there is a fuse in the main box though -  perhaps check that?      Do a search on 'fabric advance'   in the forums, I'm sure I've read it here!

There is a fuse in the fabric advance motor - look for the little black cap.  I have the new model advance now, so mine is different from yours, otherwise I'd go look and tell you exactly where it is.  If that isn't the problem, Peggy, you can loosen the handle that locks your motor onto the support bracket, move it away from your take-up roller, manually advance your quilt, then push the motor back in place, or at least the closest notch to where you wanted the quilt to be.  If you have a question on this process (isn't it clear as mud????) call me - (509) 671-1467 - and I'll walk you through it.

Yep. It has to be something in the motor. We manually advanced it so I could finish. I was able to get close enough. Of course I was doing a CL board that you have to line up. It worked. When I was done, I plugged it back in and it worked. I will send an email to APQS. Hope they can help. I had a lot planned between the holidays. Thanks for you help.

You could try pulling out the brushes and blowing compressed air though the channels you just pulled the brushes from.  Make sure you put a towel over the motor when you do this to contain the carbon dust.  I don't know how short the brushes are supposed to be before replacement.  Measure the brushes and reinsert the old brushes. .Then you can check with Amy and figure out if you need new ones or not.

Nigel

Nigel, would the brushes affect the motorized advance?

Yes, the motorized feed (motor) has brushes in it just like the quiting machine does.  If they are worn, they can cause intermittent problems.  look at either side of the motor and you will see plastic screw covers, remove those and the brushes are inside.

Archived