Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot!

A coouple or three weeks ago I read a thread about attatching binding with the longarm.  Well, today I finished a QOV and decided to give it a try.  To bad I didn't follow all of the directions!  The one I left out was roll the quilt back to the top and start there.... Well, I started at the bottom.  It worked, pretty much, but made it much harder!  Next quilt I finish off, I will wind the quilt back to the top and start there.  I suspect it will work a lot better.  Somehow visibility was and issue...  I had a good laugh at myself.

Me too, Linda,  I start at the right bottom work over to and up the left side then across the top and down the right side then across the bottom to where I started.  I tried doing the binding as I quilted down the quilt, but it was very weird feeling.  It's so fast doing it the way I do it that I just keep doing it that way.

I have found that if I pin the middle of the binding strip to the center top of the quilt, I can work across the top and down each side............roll up.........sew down each side...........roll up........sew down each side and then at the bottom bring the two ends together to join.  

I remember somewhere there is a way to join those ends while still on the long arm, but I can't remember how or who posted it !   I would love to see it again........a video would be nice....hint hint........

To stitch the invisible join of the binding when attaching with the longarm--(best if you are proficient at this technique, not for a novice.)

Attach the binding so the join will be at the right edge. Leave the same amount of unstitched binding as you would when doing it with your DSM-- I usually leave 10" or so.

Measure and cut the binding overlap correctly. Loosen the top on the roller so you have sufficient sag to twist and pin the binding edges together. If it's helpful. pin the quilt top into pleats so it's easier to control. You just need enough slack to comfortably pull the binding to the side and under the hopping foot.

Mark your stitching line for accuracy and pin perpendicular to the seam you'll be sewing. Position the binding under the hopping foot and set both channel locks so the head doesn't move. You'll be sewing just like on your DSM--moving the fabric under the needle. You'll be unstitch-regulated so set your speed pretty slow. Hit the go button and move the marked line of the binding under the needle. Yes, I sew carefully over the pins. Don't tell on me!

Pop the binding into place before trimming the seam to make sure it's correctly sewn. Trim the seam and finish sewing the last bit with the longarm.

It's really the same technique as with your DSM. As is usually recommended, keeping the join a bit tight is better than a bit loose.

OK..........I just put a binding on with the long arm AND finished the invisible seam, too !    I practiced this on a small quilt that isn't "real" important just in case I messed up.   I can't believe how easy it was.........next time will be even easier !   Thanks again Linda R !

Archived