Help me find a pattern please,

shirleyl

My Uncle who has dime tai and Alzheimer's requested I make him a Little Dutch Girl Quilt. He has requested it more than once, so I would like to make one, but I have no idea what he is talking about. He said he had one as a kid.

Any assistance in granting his request would be deeply appreciated.

Shirley

Shirley,

Many European countries have a national or traditional dress that can vary by region.  The pointy shoes will be wooden clogs.  The bonnets are often quite large with stiff wing shapes.  I have tried to find you a picture but haven't done too well.  This is the best that I can find and it will give you some ideas I hope.

http://www.palingsoap.com/images/klederdracht.jpg

Thanks, I think I will keep getting ideas and send a bunch of pictures and ask him. My mom only remembers T towels. I might ask my other uncle if I see him before I head home, but I'm not sure where his mind is. If this was the first time he asked I wouldn't bother, but he is stuck on it and my mom and I are the only family he is still speaking to. I feel bad for him, but he has bad feelings with the remaining 4 brothers. I have gone out of my way to do stuff for him, but made it clear I can't get him out of the facility he is in or do more than the few things I have done. He is now under state conservator ship and he even tried yo sue one Uncle for helping him because he doesn't see things how they are. Of course mom and I tried yo call him on his birthday and Thanksgiving and he informed the staff he had no family. We discussed calling him for Christmas but procrastinated and he called us. Of course he called my house, left a message, called my moms and talked yo me and her and then turned around and called my house again after that. So I just don't know what yo do about it.

Sorry to vent, but mental health issues are tough!

Shirley

It's hard to deal with people whose difficulties are caused by mental disease/illness so you have my admiration.

I just wanted to mention, as others have above, that the Sunbonnet Sue pattern was called many things--including The Little Dutch Girl. No need to research too much. It looks like what he wants is a traditional SS quilt.

http://www.quiltsmith.net/sunbonnetsue/sunbonnet-sue.html

Thanks, my mom does remember seeing a Sunbonnet Sue in Grandmas house, maybe that is what he is remembering.

It is frustrating, he asks her questions like remember the rocking chair on Grandmas Front porch, who got it? I spent a month a summer at Grandmas and I don't remember no rocking chair and I'm 50. So I have no idea what year he is in!

Shirley

Glad you figured out the pattern.  Maybe he is talking about his grandma's front porch from when he was a kid.  My grandpa had dementia/Alzhiemers and would usually call his daughters by the names of his sisters, but he always had my dad (his son) right, but would call my oldest brother by his brother's name but never by dad's name.  Through the experience of my in-laws' mental changes, just go with the flow of the day and don't try to figure out every thing he refers to.  I hope you can make the quilt that will give him a bit of comfort and piece.

Archived