Teresa (Chickenscratch) How are your Son & Fam doing in Texas?

• 2 weeks later...

He is still trying to find a house to rent. Tiffany and the girls are moved in here.  Too many people in the house, trust me.  Hopefully he will find a house soon. He has applied for a bunch, but because they have no credit established he can't seem to get into one.  They keep getting turned down by all the rental agencies. You would think people would be glad they pay all their bills on time, with cash.  Evidently that's a bad thing in today's economy.  Go figure.

Thanks for asking.

............You would think people would be glad they pay all their bills on time, with cash.  Evidently that's a bad thing in today's economy.  Go figure.Thanks for asking.

Yes. Paying "cash" for everything is not good--- We all must establish a history of exercising good credit by either getting a credit card or getting a small loan and then faithfully paying it off. Banks (and other creditors) want to see the trends in how you manage your credit. If he doesn't have a credit card, he should get one. Just one card is all you need! I only have one credit card and I pay the balance off at the end of every monthly cycle. If he's never taken out a loan (even a small loan) he should do that.

We've offered living space for a couple of our adult childen, spouses and grandkids during difficult times as well, and it's not always easy! (Hugs) But it gave them a chance to build some savings and start fresh. And, because it isn't any easier on them (to need to come back home albeit temporarily), they've gotten their ducks in a row (knock on wood ;) ). Your children will thank you, and your grandkids will have some amazings memories of the time they 'stayed' with grandma :)

And it does stink that most businesses rely on 'credit' instead of cash. I mean, why is there not positive financial history recorded, and points given, for cash transactions just as there is borrowing (credit) transactions? Cash is still king - even though many kids and young adults can't count it back ;) - regardless creditor's opinions.

And it does stink that most businesses rely on 'credit' instead of cash. I mean, why is there not positive financial history recorded, and points given, for cash transactions just as there is borrowing (credit) transactions? Cash is still king - even though many kids and young adults can't count it back ;) - regardless creditor's opinions.

I see your point of view re: cash is king

I see your point of view re: cash is king, but in the real world (nowadays) cash is not king and most people don't have $250,000+ saved away in cash to pay for a house so they need to take out a mortgage. Considering the banking scandals and bad loans that were handed out to multitudes of people who ended up in over their heads, creditors are very protective of their assets now and don't want to take unnecessary risks. Too many people are out there drowning in debt with 3-5 maxxed out credit cards and no way to pay them down. So, take out a small bank loan or installment loan, get one credit card. Buy stuff on it and pay the entire balance off at the end of every monthly cycle. In this day and age, having established credit is required if you want to buy a home, a car, or even rent a place.

Thanks, Shanna, for your views and insight.  I think different areas of the country live with different rules and guidelines.  In our area cash is still king.  As for taking out  loans with your local bank to get some credit history I agree that is a good means of gaining credit history.  I personally don't feel we should encourage credit card use. We need to encouraged savings, and to borrow locally if and when needed. And for those who have had problems with paying their debt and can't get credit, what is their options? They need to save what cash they can for some time. Maintaining savings is a good financial tool.  Regardless, my point seems to have been missed.  There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, who purchase and live by cash. Those who do should get positive financial history by doing so. History that shows up on their reports for their financial worthiness, not their 'credit' worthiness.  I mentioned it because I understand what Teresa was saying about her son and his family using cash and it reflecting poorly on his ability to rent.  That's all I meant. But I do appreciate your views!

Marci, absolutely I agree with you 100% ... Have money socked away in savings, live within your means, stay out credit card debt. If you do have a card, do like I do and pay the entire credit card balance off every month. I have one card that I use to buy my groceries, gas, etc. I pay it all off to zero every month. Prove that you can manage your money. Establish a good credit history. If you do these things your credit rating will be excellent and banks will see you as low risk and will offer you zero interest on a car loan and you also qualify for the lower interest rates on a mortgage. This was my main point for ways to prove you can manage your money, and live within your means in order to establish a good credit history. Using cash is fine , but in order to get lower interest rates from creditors you need to prove through transactions that you are faithfully and financially responsible by blending both ways to pay for things, cash and credit.

I think I could understand the credit thing if he was trying to purchase a house and needed credit for a mortgage, but this is all for renting a 3 bedroom house for $1000-$1200 a month.  He told one lady he could walk into her office and hand her the $3500 she needed that day.  She told him he couldn't get the house because he has no auto loans or credit cards.   I think that is preposterous.  He puts his paycheck into the bank every week and only spends what he needs on food/ campsite/ hotel room.  It is very expensive living out of hotels and eating fast food. Surely he would save more if he could rent a place.  And Tiffany and the girls could go out there and join him.  It is very hard hearing a 6 year cry nightly because she misses her daddy.

That is just so tuff!  I have a friend who has bad credit and it is really hard to do anything ......I did google "renting with no or bad credit" and did find some information that I passed on to her....she found a place that was month to month with no lease...yep...they could raise rent at anytime but she could also leave anytime with a 30 day notice....she did have to pay a deposit and one month in advance along with the regular rent....it is an old apartment but she has been there over a year now....lots of stuff nearby and handy that she can walk to...and the neighborhood is not too bad...anyway...there were some suggestions...like trying not going through a big rental agency but trying to find one that only had a few properties and offering things like more money down and a shorter or no term lease......she wasn't able to get a credit or debit card at first....but the bank gave her one after she had been with them for 6 months and had not overdrawn ......so she is working on establishing better credit.....good luck...try the googling and see what you find...also there may be some renter's right groups in the area that may have some hints.....Lin

Oh, Teresa, I am so very sorry your son and his family are going through this.  It breaks my heart, as I'm sure it does yours, to see one of your own struggling and trying to do right.  As I've been saying, I think it is all wrong to not give credit where credit is due for someone being able to handle cash in a responsible manner and to not have that reflected in a person's records.  Someone who has never borrowed or had financial problems in the past - both - have to start somewhere.  And when has cash become a dirty word?  Again, :(, I hope someone understands and helps them continue the path of financial security.  God bless you all.

developing bad credit at times, means nothing.

my bro=in-law went broke, lost the family farm and had spent a lot of Mom's grain cash.,.

went up to Minn. and bought a brand new pickup and back canopy, with heavy weight

towing trailer hitch.  Nothing down either. 

Made me sick that he didn't at least have to put something down.

Good luck.. a church does help, especially if the pastor will agree to be one of the folks the

creditor can vouch for them.

Rita

Archived