Hartley Ruler Base/ Expander question

I've been doing some ruler work lately and notice that my machine is squealing as I stitch using my ruler base/ruler.   It's coming from the base, and squeals in time with the hopping foot.   It's not quiet!   Any ideas how to tone it down?  I'm pretty sure it's the base that is vibrating slightly in time with the stitching but it's annoying!  

Maybe I need to invest in one of the other ruler bases instead?   Then I can remove my thread cutter once and for all?  LOL 

My rulers all make noise from time to time! My Hartley base is wonderful; fits tight and is quiet. You can easily tell if it is your ruler making noise or the base by stitching with just the base and no ruler. I am very curious about this noise; I wonder if yours is a bit loose if you could put some blue painter's tape around the inside opening and see if that makes it a bit tighter and squelches the noise.

• 1 month later...

Haven't had a problem with this again....Not sure what was going on!

I've been doing a lot of straight line ruler work  and my hartley base seems to get stuck at times in places. I've narrowed it down to the corners of the base kind of catching on the quilt.   Driving me crazy.   straight line...perfect....loooking good...woohoo.....and CATCH.  wobble.

ugh@@!!!!!!

I wonder if the Ruler Mate base is any better?

Archived