Needle Jumping

Hi All,

I have been meaning to ask this question for a long time.

When I have the stitch regulator on and come to a stop, my needle always seems to jump and not stay still.

Does anyone else have this issue??? Of course it could be me, but it can be frustrating when trying to do stitch in the ditch or using templates.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Karen

HI Karen,

do you stop and switch off when you stop?  or do you keep going?  I normally stop and restart by switching off with the needle in the down position, when I reposition the ruler..  I could keep it going, but like you say sometimes there would be a little unwanted movement if you moved slightly...  

Try stopping and restarting, it will be much more controllable.  If you are already doing this, then I don't know why your needle would jump.

I'm not certain if the controls on the Freedom are exactly same as on a 2009 Millie, but on my Millie when I'm in SR mode using a ruler I almost always keep my index finger on my right hand on the command button.  Then when I need to stop to reposition the ruler I click on the blue button (while keeping the command button down).  That stops the needle from going up and down yet keeps the SR on.  When I've repositioned my ruler I just click on the blue button (still keeping my index finger on the command button) and the needle starts to move again and I can continue to stitch. 

I hope this makes sense.  I saw an e-mail from Dawn (if I'm not mistaken) on here a long time ago talking about this and I absolutely love being able to stop the needle this way.  In fact, I probably keep my finger on the command button too often, just so I can click on that blue button quickly to stop the needle if I need to reposition. 

Thanks Pat - I will try that next time too!

I too, feel like I would wear out the buttons, turning it off and on every time I need to reposition; and just hesitating doesn't always work because the sensors are so sensitive (which I'm sure we want?!)!  I don't think I could depress the command button all the time though - maybe just hover near it, doesn't that make your index finger tired or cramped?

Cathy - I'll likely wear out the command button because I do use it a lot. Probably too much.  have been meaning to ask APQS if it's OK to use it so much.

It's almost second nature to me any more to keep my finger on that button because I do a lot of ruler work and it really helps me to position the needle and stop just right.

Hi everyone,

it is OK to use that command button to pause the machine.When you hold in the command button on the right handle, and then tap the blue button, it stops the sewing motor but keeps the regulator engaged. To start up again, you hold in that command button and tap the blue button once more. Keep in mind that when you leave the regulator engaged in this manner, the needle will NOT position completely up or down. It will stop wherever it is in its cycle. It is a wonderful way to maintain control and do ruler work.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived