Help! First time quilter

Hi I'm a first time quilter and I've almost completed my T-shirt quilt top and I have questions about batting and the backing.  I'd like to have an outside boarder, which i've researched and have a general idea of how to attach it.  My quilt top is roughtly 70x70, closer to 63x67.  What is the best/ easiest batting to use for a beginner.  I want something with a low loft.  I think that makes a thinner quilt? Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Right now I'm looking at a batting that comes in 72x72 but says they can be 10" apart.  I'm not sure what that means and is it a good idea to use fusable batting?  I'm using a machine, which I'm new at too, so the easier it is to use with it will be great!  I really don't want to sew it all by hand, which is a possiblilty, so any advice or suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance!!!

I assume you have a longarm to use for the quilting? Don't use fusible batting if that's the case. The backer, batting, and top are separate on the longarm.

If you're quilting on a domestic, you can use fusible batting instead of basting the three layers.

Low loft batting is the best for T-shirt quilts because of the extra weight of the top. A thin poly would work well. Cotton will be too heavy.

The quilting distance listed on the batting wrapper simply tells you the farthest apart your quilting lines can be and still have a nice result. But be assured that you'll need to stitch closer together than that and will want an even density of stitching all over the quilt.

Just about any batting that you'll find at a quilt shop will work. Poly battings available at Joanns are perfectly acceptable, but open it as soon as you get it home to check for uneven patches or thin spots so you can return it right away. Quality varies by brand and also within lots. Also check to make sure the batting doesn't tear or thin out when tugged. It will need to stand up to smoothing and tugging when on the frame.

Good luck with your first project--you'll do great!

Froggy:  Ten inches apart means that the batting will stay in place with as much as 10" space between the quilting lines.  For practical purposes, I think I'd reduce that a bit, because I think the add claim is best case senerio.  I don't really haver answers to your other questions.  Jim

You also need to be sure to add extra batting and backing if you are longarming.  I add an extra 4" on all 4 sides of the quilt back and batting.  That much might also be necessary if quilting on a domestic machine.  Measure the exact size of your quilt top after it has been squared up at the top, across the middle and at the bottom.  Take that measurement and add the extra 4" to each side of the backing and batting.

Hi, Froggy.  Please tell us if you are using a longarm quilting machine or a regular domestic machine.  I am pretty much a newbie, too.   I have a general quilting book by Nancy Zieman, called, "Quilt with Confidence."  It has really helped me because it is geared for the beginner, with simple to follow explanations and pictures.  Good luck!  You can also watch lots of videos on Youtube.  Check out the Missouri Star Quilt Company videos, as well as the Quilting Gourmet.  I like their videos a lot.

Hi Froggy,

Yes, please tell us longarm or domestic.  Don't be afraid to tell us if it's domestic, that's fine.  We need to know, so that we can give you the correct advice the two methods are different.   I have one more question to add to the pot, did you stabilize your quilt blocks?  T-shirts stretch all over the place and you may end up with lots of "D-cups".  Did you use sashing?  Borders are fine on a T-shirt quilt, but they have to be put on carefully to prevent wobbles.  The more info you can tell us, the more we can help!

I'd also suggest you stay away from the Battings that say "craft and Quilting," or "quilting and crafts."  'm not a fan of Mountain Mist or the Fairfield brand, unless it's of the pricier stuff.. not the cheap stuff..

Hobbs has a couple good ones,  and I think I'm going to change to mostly Dream batting, some day.

Good luck,, take a pict when done.. just be very careful to not stretch the quilt when you add the binding.  sewing a little strip of scrap fabric on the outer edge of the blocks the borders will be sewn, helps stabilize it.. be sure it will be trimmed off when you trim the batting, backing, etc. just before you bind it.

You will be so rightfully proud of the care you are taking to do this right.

Rita

Archived