quilts for the injured soldiers

Hi all...I watched the special on Bob Woodward, the ABC newsman that was injured while covering Iraq...ANyway, his wife mentioned that he was covered with a quilt for his plane ride from Germany to America...She said that she was told that the quilt would keep him warm during the long plane ride, because she was unable to ride with him...

It made me realize that the quilts that are given to the services are VERY appreciated by the people they are given to, and their families.

So, do any of you know the website to go to in order to find out how to get involved with donating the quilts. I have a group I facilitate of about 85 women here in Redmond, Washington, and they are interested in HELPING! So, I need to know how, and you ladies (and gentlemen) are such a font of information!

Thank you ahead of time for any information you can give me. We too can make a difference!

Karen Burns

Carnation, Washington

I have volunteered for QOV for two quilts now. I am in Iowa, but the guild that I have quilted for is in Connecticut. Once you sign up then QOV sends you an email and then you respond with how many quilts you can quilt in about 30 days. It is such a honor to be part of this group. They will have a booth at MQS also, so you can meet some of the people involved and I believe toppers can drop off quilts there too, I think I read that there may be a machine that is lent at MQS for quilting on the spot too. They give stats on how many wounded men and women there are coming home from the war, and QOV needs all the help they can get to cover our heroes with a quilt of valor.

One of the chapters of our local guild in Richmond, VA started making quilts for all the wounded and military people who have died in the war that are from Virginia. They have kept there focus on just Virginia men and women. It may be an idea for you to get your quild involved on giving quilts for the men and women in your state. The Guild has solicited donations to help pay for batting, backing and quilting. Most of the tops are made from donated fabric.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I have quilted about 20 of the QOV quilts for various groups around the country. I supply the batting and the quilting, they supply the pieced top and the backing fabric. From what I know of, this is how they are all done. You can contact June at QOV and she can get you signed up as a piecer or a longarmer. www.qovf.org

Hi. I do one Quilt of Valor a month and have also started doing quilts for American Hero Quilts regularly. It is satisfying to do these. {You can also use them to try something that you are fairly sure you can accomplish (like a feathering technique) but haven't dared to do on a customer quilt yet. It's good practice. Only once did I have to rip out because I got started and realized that my quilting needed a little more practice on muslin first. But it does give me confidence to do them for "pay". }

I can't think of the website for American Hero right now...but you could google it....it's out of Washington state.

Dear Janet ,

Thank you so much for posting the website for the quilts of Valor. I think I will probably be getting involved in making or quilting some quilts for our service men & women. just one question, If I finish a quilt who do I mail it to ? I went to their website and I'm not sure I understood that part .

Arby:cool:

Thank you for posting this thread! I can think of no better way to help than to donate my meager skills to -"quilt the quilts". I can't wait for the first ones to arrive.

:)

You all are so thoughtful to be doing this. As a retired military wife, I can attest to how much your work is appreciated. The kind and thoughtful nature of quilter's never ceases to amaze me. The website, if anyone is interested is www.americanheroquilts.com

Happy quilting!

With QOV you can either quilt and bind the quilt, or if you don't have time (like me) you can just quilt it and mail it back to the guild who sent it to you, they will finish the binding and I think they put a label on it as well.

I always include $10 to help cover the cost of shipping the quilt to a military hosp. My last one went to the VA hosp in LA.

My husband didn't retire from the Navy, but he was in for 6 years as a Navy Nuke. I can still remember stopping on base for colors... gives me chills to remember it and how proud I was (still am) to be an American and a Navy wife.

Hi,

My small quilt guild has donated, so far 21 quilts/tops to the American Hero Project. It is run by Sue Nebeker out of Vashon, WA and all the quilts go to the Madigan Medical Center. Sue is not connected directly with QOV, and QOV seems to get allot more publicity and attention in the media, which is GREAT, but with your group being in Washington already, it might be more productive to check with her.

You can read about it on this link: http://www.americanheroquilts.com/

You can see the quilts we have donated so far (5more coming) on this link: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/557117239DoUXKz

As with QOV, they will take anything, the need is soooo great and growing every day. Blocks, fabric, batting, quilting time on your long arm, whatever. If you email me privately, I can forward some of the letters I have received from Sue to give you more specifics about this project.

Thanks for asking~I didnt start out as being a champion of this project, but after dealing with her and hearing the numbers of quilts needed, it kinda grew, now I am trying to get the word out whenever I can.

Jody

Ah Jody, no worries :D Sometimes we get so excited we can't wait to share! The more info the better, I say! We were stationed at McChord AFB near you (lived in Puyallup) and it seemed with 6 kids, I was always at Madigan for something! I think they knew me on sight!:P

Wavin' back at ya'! :D

Archived