Carla's Crazy Flower Garden

This is a quilt I made with my niece Carla, who's only 11. She chose the solids, the pattern, and did the basic block sewing. I squared the blocks up and put them together. Then I was lucky to take Myrna's workshop in Germany, and that boosted my imagination in creating flowers and leaves of all sorts. Thanks Myrna!

Enjoy,

Marie-Christine

post--13461897938849_thumb.jpg

WOW! Beautiful composition, she can be very proud of her quilt. I love her colors. My granddaughters are nine years old & I have taught them how to quilt. Now they go to the quilt show with me and we study the quilts together. I have a Classic Plus also and they are learning how to use the machine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebecca

Cottage Quilter

Rockton, Illinois

Thank you very much!

It was a lot of fun indeed to make this quilt with my niece. I guess I learned as much as she did! like ignoring rules a little bit and not being too picky about accuracy ;)

I don't know a name for this pattern. It's a technique that's described in many patchwork books and magazines: take a number of squares, stack them, cut them twice across freehand, switch the colors and put the squares together again, you get the basic block. With Carla, we took four 12"squares.

I wish those of you who are quilting with children as much happiness and fun as I had!

Have a nice day,

Marie-Christine

Marie-Christine-

Great quilt!!! Love the pattern. I wonder if thats not the stack and wack method. Sounds so simple. My son who is nine just recently finished his first quilt. We just used scraps of every color and sewed them into strips. He wanted to quilt it with the LA but I was afraid that the top wasn't flat. I meandered over the whole thing and it turned out great. Maybe he could have done it himself. He has since started a new one and designed one for the future. The first one took almost two years to finish and would probably still be folded up in the corner if I hadn't gotten the LA. Now he wants to know about every show in the state and if we can go to them. Have only found a couple for him.

Thanks a lot for the compliments!

Carla finally got her quilt and is as proud as could be. And asks when she can visit me to start the next one :D

She does use my machine when she's here. She loves to have a piece of muslin or other plain fabric on the machine and "paints" pictures: faces, animals or whatever she thinks of. That's fun!

Concerning the pattern again: I found two books on amazon describing this technique, "Stack the Deck" by Karla Alexander (she wrote a few more on this topic) and "Cut-loose Quilts" by Jan Mullen; there certainly are many more. So just keep cool and don't forget to breathe while piecing and quilting ;)

Have a nice day,

Marie-Christine

Archived