HELP, Tension Issue

Ladies,

I need help.  I have a tension issue that I cannot seem to fix.  When I test my tension before I start to quilt, I get it looking great.  But when I start to quilt on the top, I get these loose bumps on the top of the quilt.  There is no evidence of problems on the bottom.  I have never had this problem before and cannot remember ever having read anything about it so have no reference for how to fix it.  I have tried tightening the tension in the bobbin, and the top both but like I said it looks great on the side but once I start on the top it goes awry.  HELP PLEASE

Mary

The first thing to do is unthread the top thread back to the cone. Re-thread carefully. Make sure the thread is seated fully between the tension disks. If the tension knob is set too tight, the thread may ride along the outside of the disks instead of around the center spindle. Sometimes your top thread will flail around---make sure each pigtail guide is threaded and perhaps try a more aggressive threading of the three-hole guide above the tension assembly. Thread all three holes with a wrap, not up-and-down. This will control the top thread better.

Usually a problem on the top side is caused by the bottom thread. Check your bobbin case--remove the backlash spring, clean the case thoroughly and check for lint under the finger, replace the backlash spring correctly, and make sure your bobbin thread is exiting the case correctly. One small incorrect step can cause problems, so start from the very beginning to catch all areas. Re-set both top and bobbin tension from scratch.

When you finish and test your stitches, many times the problem is solved. The bad thing is you don't know the exact thing that fixed it! :D

Thank you Linda and Heidi for the suggestions.  I have tried your suggestions.  I have can get rid of the bumps on the top but then I cannot get the bobbin tension tight enough to pull the top thread down into the batting.  This quilt is kicking my back side.  I have Superior Super Bob in bobbin and Superior So Fine in Top Thread.

Remember to check the finger flap on the bobbin case for lint trapped under it.

Very carefully lift the flap a very Little, to check and/or clean it out.   Just don't Bend it.

It sounds to me like you need to set your top tension tighter, then adjust the bobbin,

and I do have the bobbin loose, and tighten till I can get what I want.  I test the stitching

in the 1/4" seam line when I think I have it.

I seldom have to do this, but now and then I do.  Also check needle tip for a wee tiny bur that can be

holding the thread just a bit.

Good Luck,

Rita

I have the bobbin case clean and so loose it won't lift off my palm. The top tension I loosen and then I get the bumps on the top of the quilt if I tighten the top tension to get rid of bumps then it pulls bobbin thread to the surface of the quilt. I am so frustrated. Could there be a problem with my stitch regulator or timing or any other thing. My machine is four years old and I have never had this much trouble with tension before. I have quilted batiks, minkee, and most any cotton. Even did t-shirt quilts and memory quilts with all kinds of materials and have not had these problems. I am at my wits end I have frogged this quilt so much I say ribbit ribbit more that anything else.

Mary

Mary if your machine is four years old and you have done quite a few quilts it could be getting lazy.

I marked my machine when I received it .  The bottom loop of the check spring was sitting about 11 if you imagine the tension unit as the centre of a clock.

When you pull on the top thread you should be pulling the thread so that the bottom of tension spring goes down to 9 .  If the spring does not return to 11  then it could mean it is getting weak.

I like to recommend that everyone starts playing the tension game with the head of the screw inside their tension unit almost level with the outer surface of the tension unit.  That is where it is set fresh from the factory.

I would now tighten your bobbin tension so the bobbin case just stands on your hand when you hold it by the thread.  Turn the top tension dial so that the centre screw is flush, then thread your needle and pull on your top thread observe your tension check spring and see how far it is moving and where it returns too.

You  should be feeling the same amount of resistance when you pull on both the bobbin thread and the top thread.

I have discovered that the take-up spring (some people call it the "check" spring) strength is adjustable.  When you remove the tension assembly you will see that there is a small screw that clamps the base with the notch the take-up spring moves in, to the large tension screw that carries the disk\ assembly.  If you loosen that screw (the small one), hold the base between your fingers, and with a screw driver, turn the large tension assembly screw clockwise, more tension will be developed on the take-up spring.  After you increase the take-up spring tension tighten the small clamp screw. Put the entire tension assembly back in the machine, and adjust the "clock" position so that the take-up spring is properly oriented.

Unless your take-up spring has a groove worn in it, or it has dragged on the head of your machine, and worn itself thin, it need'n't be replaced. 

Archived