Crayola Markers and Marking Quilt tops

With all the back to school supply shopping, I was reminded of a test I wanted to do.  I did some marking with Crayola markers and checked to see how they would wash out.  I wrote the results up over on my blog, and they were interesting!  I'd probably not use it on a customer quilt, because I didn't test every possible combination of fabrics and threads, but i would have zero problem using them to mark my own quilts.

If you test them out yourself on silk, poly, or wools, I'd love to have you share the results!  I didn't have any of those on hand, I only had 100% cotton.

http://mandalei.com/2014/08/13/crayola-washable-markers-and-quilt-marking-technique-of-the-week/

I have a story to share with you about the Crayola markers.  I have friend that used them to keep track of her block layout for a Ragtime quilt by mark each quilt block with 'row 1, block 1,  'row 1 block 2" etc.  She had used them before and was very happy with how well they washed out of flannels.   Once she had the quilt all pieced together she threw it in the wash....and added Retayne to the wash!   She Retayned the Crayola marker marks onto her quilt blocks!  So the moral of the story is remember to wash out the marks before you set the colours!

I have a story to share with you about the Crayola markers.  I have friend that used them to keep track of her block layout for a Ragtime quilt by mark each quilt block with 'row 1, block 1,  'row 1 block 2" etc.  She had used them before and was very happy with how well they washed out of flannels.   Once she had the quilt all pieced together she threw it in the wash....and added Retayne to the wash!   She Retayned the Crayola marker marks onto her quilt blocks!  So the moral of the story is remember to wash out the marks before you set the colours!

I wonder then if you can set the marker on purpose and use them to color quilts?

WHOA.  And I agree with Julia, that might be a fun thing to do for coloring on quilts. I don't have retayne to try it out!  

Archived