Finally Replacing the Leaders

I bought a used Millie in April of 2013 did not like the way the edges of the Leader were not square and minimized the size of quilt I could put on my 12 ft frame

the leaders at most were 110" of usable area

SOOOO I decided to put new ones on.

Now where to get canvas... hmmm ......

I went to my local fabric store they had canvas but not enough I wanted it to be as wide as my machine less about 5" for the machine to rest

on the ends it was about $12.00 but they did not have enough. Then a good friend said go to the paint store they have painters canvas and it come in 12 to 20 foot widths

so that is what I did. picked up a 8'x 12' painters canvas for 25.00 cut it in half then squared all the sides to start with cut the length to 131" 

....ripped off the old canvas found the seam line on my front pipe and duct tapped it to the pipe rolled it up till the canvas leader was just touching the floor to make sure it was square...(yes it was) as I rolled the canvas on the front roller watched both ends to make sure they were straight ( yes they were) I am so excited I took a picture of the front roller with new canvas on it and the other rollers with the old crooked canvases on them see what I mean crooked.  I added the channels for my leader grips and it looks great

post-63431-0-24326800-1411915008_thumb.jpg

Now to put the back canvas leader on 

Easy Peasey

Have a great day everybody

I think they are that way so it doesn't pile up/stack up at the ends. Each set I have purchased are like that, and I have purchase from a couple of places. I actually like that they do not pile up on the ends, just a preference. You can find the center and mark by measuring from the pole ends to the center of your frame.

I just replaced the leaders on a 12' liberty not long ago. She didn't use canvas, but ticking. Just as heavy weight as canvas, but they we're white & navy blue stripes. She added a little character to her machine. Looked real nice afterwards. Now I need to do mine. Zeke......

I think the canvases  are mass made and the edges are serged to finish the edges these are not square. I straightened one side then used my large square to get the end square then continued to the other two sides. I did serge the edges to keep them from fraying after they were square. I love how it looks on the machine. I think if my edges start to wander and not stack on top of each other I will look and see if they are out of square again. 

Archived