making a stencil?

A method I have read about but have not tried is to draw your design on a thin waxed sheet (the food service kind that pull out from the box one at a time). Then staple as many as you will need together, then stitch (without thread) the design through all the layers, making needle holes to mark the design. You will then have multiple identical stencils that you can pin on the quilt to guide you. I have bought the box of waxed sheets but have never gotten around to trying this.

Carol

This if how I make a stencil

Take an embroidery hoop

Put a piece of bridal tulle in it

Place the hoop with the tulle tight over the design you want to use (feathers)

Trace it with a pencil

Now take this over to your quilt

Put on top of the block you want to quilt in and trace the design again

with a water soluble pen or a air erase pen or chalk now your design is ready to quilt

You can use this stencil over and over again or make a new one bridal tulle is cheap

Hope this help you out

happy quilting

I use freezer paper rather than tracing paper. Three sheets ironed together with the shiny sides against the "paper" sides makes a very strong stencil.

Draw your design on the paper side of the stack and stitch on your DSM with a large, unthreaded needle. Use a foam brush from the craft store to push pounce chalk through the holes. There's less mess and waste using the brush with the chalk in a small container rather than the pounce pad.

Don't iron the stencil to the fabric---just use it like a regular stencil.

For a stronger line on your stencil, use a double needle to stitch your lines and remove the center area with a craft knife. Make sure to leave bridges of paper so the feather centers don't drop out.

A stencil like this will last for a long time. I have many that I've used on several quilts.

I don't draw very good but I bet my Silhouette Cameo could make some awesome cut stencil designs with some manila folders. Just an idea for those of you with those cutter machines.

Terry, your tulle idea is cool. I'd have never thought of it!

It works realy well Bonnie and is easy to see where to place it also.

Archived