Bad Pellon batting

A customer brought a Queen Pellon 60/40 blend that was purchased from JoAnns. When I opened it to load it was badly stained. Rice-sized pieces of black "charcoal" fell out and both corners on one end were speckled and stained with gray-to-black smears that went through to both sides. Of course, I put it aside and used something comparable I had in the studio. My customer was out of town so I forged ahead. She picked up the batting to return for a replacement, hoping that JoAnns will be accommodating. 

I assume this was just a QC problem at the factory. Anyone else have a problem with Pellon?

(It had a nice weight and strength to it. I love a blend and haven't seen 60/40 before. I think I would like it.)

I haven't had a problem with any particular batting, but have had trouble with JoAnn's standing behind their products and Customer Service.   I once bought a case of Mountain Mist batting rolls and every single roll in the case (6 of them) had been cut, so none of the rolls were one piece, but several 2 and 3 foot width sections.   I complained to JoAnn's and pretty much got the equivalant of a shrugged shoulder and "too bad...not our fault"........no offer of a refund or anything.   That was the last time I bought batting from JoAnn's.   I rarely by anything from JoAnn's any more unless it is to use my 50% coupon for cutter blades.   Ordering fleece is terrible, as they just hack it off without even trying to give a straight cut.   Again, I have complained, but to avail.   I can appreciate things going wrong at the factory, etc., but to ignore customers I cannot appreciate.   

Thanks for your input. :)

I've had the same problem with JoAnns and hope my customer can get a replacement for the bad batting. She doesn't have a receipt and knows she used a coupon. My take on JoAnns (as with many other stores like Kohls) is that they jack up the prices on most items and then put them "permanently on sale" at a reasonable normal price that most are willing to pay. Then if you use a coupon for a discount they act like they're doing you a big favor. Retail is hard. Making a profit while attracting customers is even harder. I order online a lot because even with shipping added it's sometimes the same price as a brick-and-mortar store. Right now I'm looking for some foundation papers and have found prices for the same product ranging from $8.95 to $12.99 online. The LQS has them for $14.99. Even with shipping added, it's cheaper online. I guess price can trump convenience lots of times...

Those rice shaped pieces of charcoal weren't mouse droppings, were they??  Ugh!!

Ugh is right! No, they looked like burnt pieces of plastic or rubber. Maybe some gasket or plastic piece got crushed through the needler and dispersed onto the batting. But the stain is widespread and through both sides.

Pellon's Wool was pulled off the market earlier this year and I'm not sure if it's back.  Unfortunately, I put that batting in my own very intensely quilted quilt last year.  Every time I wash the quilt, it beards more and more.  It's so thin now that there will soon be nothing left between the layers.  I found out about it after the same thing happened to someone on the Machine Quilters Resource list.  I returned the bolt I had of the wool batting to Checker Distributors, from whom I had purchased it with no problems.  I'm just really grateful I didn't use it in a client's quilt!

Archived