Help.... having problems with the stitch regulator

Please help.... so I think it is my stitch regultor, I am just doing an all over stipple stitching away(stitch regulator on) and then the machine will almost stop and do really big stitches and then the next minute it will be racing to the point that the thread has broken. It feels a little bit like I am fighting with the machine .......I have cleaned everything. I have turned the machine on and off..I just don't know what to do? ???

Many thanks for any help.

The only thing I can think of is:

Are you going too fast for the machine?

My stitches will vary when I go too fast and it will act like it is going

to stall out.

Amy the repair tech extraordinaire, can help and actually can

listen to your machine over the phone and tell what is wrong.

She is a whiz.  Hope the problem doesn't migrate to other threads.

Rita

Leisel, if you can't call APQS - hard to do from Australia! - send an email to service@apqs.com, describing your stitch regulator problems.  Be sure to document what kind of machine you have, what year it was made, anything that might help.  And also, post this in the APQS Help forum - the service department watches that a little closer than the "chat about anything" forum.  Good luck!

Leisel,

Try to determine which direction the machine is not stitching correctly by moving it only forward and backward, then only left and right. Once you determine the direction that is not working, then check that the encoder wheel for that direction is still making good contact with the larger wheel in which it runs.

If the machine sputters left to right, then check the encoder wheel you'll see on the carriage axle (the one on the back rail of the machine that travels L-R). If it sputters front to back, then check the encoder wheel on the sewing head (the black box that's just ahead of the thread stand.)

Here are a couple of helpful links that show you what to do:

Encoder Wheel Adjustment Video

Diagnosing and fixing Regulator Issues

Let me know if this solves your problem!

I,too, am having the same problem. It just randomly happens. I am going to check the plugs tomorrow. I have had to replace my encoder wheels because the edges that rest inside the groove actually wore down. It has worked well until now, so I guess tomorrow will be a fix it day!

I am considering sending her to the APQS "spa day" in Carroll. I only live 2 hours away. I am having cataract surgery in January and will be out of commission for a while, so Millie might as well get a tune up too!

Thank you everyone for your help and Dawn for the links to the video / info sheet they were extremely helpful. I have found that 1 of the encoder wheels is heaps looseer that the other,although it still makes contact.

So I am thinking I will tighten up the one that is a lot looser and see if this helps.

I will let you all know how I get on.

Many thanks Leisel

I found a loose encoder wheel too, however there is no slack left to make it tighter. I replaced both wheels not too long ago and have not quilted very many quilts. I am going to order new wheels to keep on hand since I keep having problems with them. I am a fast quilter. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I sure don't like having to replace these wheels so often!

Jennifer, if you're handy and have the right tools, you can move your encoder wheels closer to your machine wheels.  You'll need to do some disassembling, but once you have one of the encoder boxes (the two black boxes), you can use a small round file to extend the slot that the wheel bolts go through - this will allow you to move your encoder wheels closer.

Archived