Magnetic Bobbins

Ladies and Gents

I have purchased myself some magnetic bobbins and would like to know how to go about setting up my tension. Do I set my tension with the magna bobbins the same as my regular bobbins or do it differently?

I am hoping to love these as much as everyone on here seems to. I have learned to adjust my tension but would always love to have help in the area of tension.

Mary

Mary

If you have a towa guage set it the same.  If not I don't think the drop test works (well it doesn't for me), I would suggest loading some practice fabric and test stitch with a regular bobbin until your tension is perfect.  Then take a second bobbin case, remove the backlash spring and insert your magnetic bobbin.  Test stitch again but only adjust the bobbin tension until it is perfect again.  Now that bobbin case is set for magnetic bobbins and shouldn't need adjusting again.  I think a lot of people get a feel for the tension just by pulling on the thread.  We really like the magnetic bobbins but still wind a lot as well.

Nigel

I set my bobbin tension by using a bobbin wound with Bottom Line using the drop test. The thread weight of the magnetics is the same as Bottom Line. Then I simply substitute the magnetic. Remove the spring in the bottom of the case for the magnetics. I keep a bobbin case special for magnetics so I don't have to constantly change my tension. I set the tension once and it stays good for a long time. I re-check the tension periodically using a Bottom Line bobbin, but so far it has remained good.

Archived