Quilt Sleeves

EDIT: The link doesn't appear to be working as I've typed it below. You can search you tube for Lisa Bongean Quilt Sleeve and it will come up!

I've only put one or two quilt sleeves on a quilt before because I so hate the process and it seemed like a lot of waste of material (I used some directions online that required 9 inches of fabric x the width of the quilt and that always seems like a LOT of fabric, 9 inches!).

The other day I ran across this video by Lisa Bongean that requires 4 inches of fabric x width of quilt and has a neat tip of using glue, too. With this method, I actually might be more inclined to add a sleeve to my wall quilts with my leftover backing. I thought I'd share the you-tube link here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isiH2R2J4wE

Hi Bonnie I agree I hate putting quilt sleeves on. For wall hangings I read on a link how to make 2 corner pockets (5" squares folded in half) and you put them on the corners raw edges meet raw edges of quilt back before you put binding on and this makes pockets and you can slide a yardstick in pockets and drill a hole in middle of yardstick and hang on wall. It does help make the quilts hang nice.  I have done it twice and I really think it's easier than sleeves. I didn't save the link of course but she did use them on larger quilts and when a quilt didn't hang very straight she put them on the bottom too. My directions aren't as clear as hers lol

Sue, I love the corner triangles idea! It's one I had been meaning to try one day and totally forgot about it. I'm so glad you posted about it!

And yep, that's the link! For some reason, I can't copy and paste to this site any more since I got my new computer last year with Windows 7. :(

Yes, both of these methods are easy, quick ways of attaching a sleeve.

I am going to stick with the 9 inch double sleeve. The Minnesota Quilters Guild has easy directions to make the 9 inch sleeve (4 inches finished) with one edge of the sleeve sewn on under the binding or a removable sleeve that has both edges hand sewn. The Houston International Quilt Festival also has good directions. Be aware that all national quilt shows require a 4 inch finished sleeve. These directions also include a 1/2 inch ease in the sleeve so that when the rod goes in you don't get a bump across the front of the quilt. I have helped hang quilts at national shows and it is quite sad to hang a beautiful quilt that sags. I have also seen the edges of the sleeve only basted to the quilt and the hand stitches pull out letting the edge of the quilt sag. In one case there was so much ease in the sleeve that the sleeve (that did not match the front of the quilt) showed all across the top of the quilt. Very distracting visually.

The double sleeve protects the quilting stitches from the rod being pushed through it. Different quilt shows use different sizes of rods. I even have different sizes of rods in my house on some of my decorative wooden quilt racks. My dad sometimes only puts 2 inch rod pockets on his wall hangings and I have trouble hanging them. I put rod pockets on all my quilts and wall hangings and consider them another design element of a well put together quilt. I even put them on gift quilts as the person I give the quilt to might like to hang the quilt as a wall decoration.

Just my opinion here. I respect different ways of doing things! There are no quilt police!

Thanks Jennifer. You clarified the reason for the double skeeve. I think the method for the single sleeve would be fine for our own small quilts, but at shows those rods are pretty big. I saw the bulge across the top on many of the quilts hung at the Kansas City Regional show this past weekend.

Archived