What do you do when the quilt is bigger than your frame

can you take it apart a bit and make it 2 smaller quilts; quilt each half and then sew them back together? i've done that on purpose with full size quilts before i got my longarm...when the 2 parts are quilted (leaving a seam allowance free), i sew them together thru the tops and then whip stitch the back together-kind of like a quilt-as-you-go method.

jackie

western PA

can you take it apart a bit and make it 2 smaller quilts; quilt each half and then sew them back together? i've done that on purpose with full size quilts before i got my longarm...when the 2 parts are quilted (leaving a seam allowance free), i sew them together thru the tops and then whip stitch the back together-kind of like a quilt-as-you-go method.

jackie

western PA

I did just that before I got my bigger machine and frame.   I did a King Size quilt in two halves........then sewed them together.  It's my quilt and I know where that seam is, but no one else does !   Kind of a pain to do, but it worked!

I have never done this but I took a class one time with Sue Patton.  If I have the name wrong I'm sorry but I'm too tired to run and see what the name was for sure.  Any way we where working on small frame Handi quilters and Sue commented that that size was a bigger seller in Europe because of the size .  We asked if it was possible to quilt a larger quilt and she said yes, you just fold one side over and work on the other side.  I would think this could work.  Would take some patience to get every thing folded and pinned without any pleats and I would think you may need to do some basting to get it to work but why not try?   Good luck with your quilt!

Sue Patten...the quilt will not roll evenly so you will have to stuff batting scraps on the thin side as you roll. I plan to make a large plain muslin or sateen quilt to go on the bed under the smaller pretty ones. I will make it in two pieces then join down the center after quilting.

Archived