How do you feel when......

......the people you did the quilt for are raving on and on about your work to someone and you know all the bad things about it? Know what I mean?

This morning I attended a luncheon at my church women's group that commissioned The Quilt, and each person was supposed to bring a guest to honor. People talked about older women with strong faith, best friends who are always there, a pastor who is amazing in her compassion etc. But I was one of the first people "honored", and I felt very bad in a way. You see, it was really a practice project for me, and I kind of felt guilty at not being a total pro yet letting it be auctioned as if it was professionally done, really. I think I'm good at making a stunning quilt top, but the quilting itself is just amateur. But this gal went all overboard about my artistry etc. (I only traced the pictures onto WonderUnder, I didn't draw them after all!). I felt like an imposter, rather. Couldn't help thinking, "If only they were honoring my singing...." Is that a bad sign?

What do you all think when people are "honoring" you? I can tell you one thing, I know any good that came out of that quilt was a gift from God, and not my own talent!

You need to accept the compliments that are given to you. You deserved everything that was said to you. Never feel guilty or give excuses for your "artistry" because you used your skill and imagination to make that quilt. So what if you traced pictures on the wonderunder.

So, take that right arm of yours and bring it across the back of your neck and give yourself a big old pat on the back. Well deserved honors and recognition. Everyone gets their time and 15 minutes of fame in the spotlight. This is yours! Be proud of what you did.

The compliments that you received were from the heart accept them in the manner they were meant...yes you know that you had issues with the quilt, but people don't see those. We are way to critical of our own work and when you see a tiny error, it looks like a mountain to you. The others see a bit of home and love.

As Shana said give yourself a pat on the back and take your bow....and expect to be called upon again if the need arises.

You did good...it was a beautiful quilt. So what if the quilting wasn't anything more as you called amateur....WE all started some place, and I wish I did keep my first quilt...It would be nice to see how bad it really was compared to now.

And yes, Patty we all are critical of our own work.

Hey Patty,

I second what everyone else has said, so won't repeat that. Now, do as my husband says, and "take the big stick out your had that you are beating yourself up with." I like to think that everyone has talents, and we need to be proud of our own. The women were complimenting you on your skill as a quilter and as a giving person, be gracious, say thankyou, and blush. You'll be fine.

Beth

I don't know why this is, but it seems sometimes that women have a very hard time accepting compliments.

I will tell you the same thing I tell my mom, when some says something just say thank you., because if you say oh, no it wasn't good or this was wrong with, or this old thing, people won't want to give you compliments anymore.

Besides, you are talented and you are a professional, it doesn't matter that you took it on as a practice piece and you think of it as "amateur" but you have a talent that these other people don't have .

You deserve the compliments.

tina

Acept the compliments that are being given to you. For one you stepped up to the plate and took on this project for your church and did all by yourself so the church can make money...well done :).

We are always more critical of our own work than someone else because we spend so much time with the project as it is being constructed. Plus we always think after the fact I wish I would have or I wish I could have etc..

Even the award winning quilters and teachers feel this way about their creations even when it produces a ribbon for them., LOL

Also be grateful that these women appreciate all of the time & hard work you put into it. I have a MIL that has come to expect me to do all of the planning, picking out fabrics, cutting etc... and even long arm quilting for her & I am lucky if I get a thank you for my efforts...she takes full credit for the whole finished quilt when in fact I am the one that does 80% of the project.

Joann

Hi Patty,

While waiting for my Freedom to arrive and then waiting for the carriage wheels so I could finally use this amazing machine, I pieced a dozen quilttops with whatever I could find. I made some pretty impressive quilts from crib to King size, plain blocks, on point blocks, applique and a mix of whatever. I have most of them quilted now, stipple, edge to edge and yes.....some pretty primitive feathers. I had some of my friends over for lunch yesterday and you wont believe the ranting, raving and compliments I received. The point is we are our own worst critics. I had 3 ladies calling today asking to come for a viewing, they came and I sold over $800.00 worthof quilts. I can't believe it!!!!What I thought were just for practice quilts and I might consider giving them as gifts....well, I will go buy more fabric and make more quilts! This is lucrative business and I love it. So dont be too critical of yourself. The little booboos and flaws we make are not seen buy others, except maybe the "experts" I never thought my quilts were exebition material, but one of my friends has 3 of them marked for quilt shows. How is that for a confidence booster. So accept the compliments...you did a great job, and like my hubby says" the little mistakes make my quilts uniquely mine!"

Happy quilting

Wow, Monica, that is fast work! And congratulations to you! Now, are the quilts bed-size? how did you decide how much to sell them for? That's where I get hung up in my planning for a business. I hate math, and I hate spending time doing the math, but I have to if I'm going to come up with prices for things. Would love to know people's formulas or whatever.

Yes, I just said "Thank you" to the women and looked graciously accepting, and surprised to be one of the "honored" ones, as I was surprised. I do appreciate all the adulation, I just want to be worthy, ya know. I suppose we never really FEEL worthy, knowing our flaws. But I guess like all of you I can learn to accept the good things that will come my way out of this new venture of mine. Like singing, it seems somehow wrong to call it work, even though we all know it IS work work work sometimes!

Hey Patty...yes all my quilts are bed size - twin to queen, the king size I have yet to put on, its all squares on point and I am saving it for feathers and custom work. Another weekend of practicing and I'll get brave and start. I will try to post a pic.

As to what to charge, one of the quilts was a Thimbleberrys quilt kit and I charged double the amount. As for the others I average the yardage by what I would pay for a yrd of fabric, add the cost of batting, backing and double that. So if it cost me $150.00 to make the quilt, I charge $300.00. The next ones I will also charge for long-arming. Because I just started and am still "practicing" I thought I wont add that cause of the little obver the line mistakes. But from the ranting, raving and pats on the back I got, well, the heck with the booboos, it seems only I know about them.

Dont be shy, you are worth every penny you ask for your work. There is another long armer in my neighbor hood and she charges $50.00 for every job she does, large or small, that's wrong, but it works for her. My work is in a different class all together and my goal is to be as good as Myrna ( I hope I live that long) lol.

Patty,

You have a gift, a talent, and it's not just singing, and they both come from the same place. How can you not feel that that gift is worthy of praise? I do believe there was someone who hung on a cross and made you worthy. As long as you know who to thank, and who to praise for the gift and the success you achieve in using it I don't believe you are out of line. Offer up your thanks and just let it be known that you can't do it alone, it's a gift you've been giving to use. Use, not hide or make small of. Guilt over doing something you enjoy so much? Do you feel guilty when you sing and get paid for it on top of it? That's why this is such a glorious thing, we get to have jobs doing what we love! I think there probably wasn't another person there who could have done what you did and they are all acknowledging that they know it!

Thank you, Kenna, of course you're right. I do give Him credit for originating any idea of mine, and am so grateful He entrusts it to li'l ol' me. Well, I'll remember that and be glad. :)

I do wish people would pay me for singing, though. If they did I wouldn't even be here discussing this. Well, maybe that's what He has in mind...... "The Lord works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform." Do you suppose He's getting ready to work wonders with me and my Virty? LOL! What a thought! Maybe I'll keep that one, it's such a nice one. :)

See, Kenna, you made me smile. Thanks! :)

Archived