New Year's Day Project - What Are You Working On? Top is Done! Pictures Added.

Happy New Year's Day, quilting friends! I hope you are all enjoying your day. Over the past few days I've emptied lots of boxes--25 at last count. I've set up my studio. Today I'm quilting!

I put old Mildred at the top of the stairs. She looks real cute there.

post-1093-0-57105100-1451668632_thumb.jpeg

The little secretary fits perfectly in the corner by my big cabinet.

post-1093-0-22301600-1451668804_thumb.jpeg

This is where I will put my tea kettle.

post-1093-0-72228500-1451668883_thumb.jpeg

The loft in this house was meant to be a quilt studio!

post-1093-0-04157200-1451668966_thumb.jpeg

And finally, here is the quilt I'm working on today. It's a vintage "bless her heart" top. It's a warm up since I haven't quilted for nearly nine months! The backer is Pat Sloan fabric, matches the big patches in the top really well. I'll practice swirly feather flowers in the big patches and CC in the 9 patches. My daughter loves this old top, so I'll give it to her for her birthday.

post-1093-0-18508400-1451669040_thumb.jpg

post-1093-0-90834500-1451669053_thumb.jpg

I wish all of you a wonderful New Year, doing what you love! Quilt On!

I'll be working on some hand applique later today.  I've gotten to spend a few days with my darling grand daughters.  Got sick for 2 days of our vacation and couldn't see them.  DIL is 8 months pregnant and I sure didn't want her to get sick even though she assures me they are a germ factory.  She is a nanny and the mom brought the little guy sick, turns out it is Hand, Foot and Mouth disease and now we're waiting for the 6 days incubation period to make sure she didn't catch it.  It apparently can cause pre-term labor and be passed onto the newborn.  I guess I was the more safe bet.  LOL.  I'm recovering well from the knee surgery though.  Hopefully I'll be able to start working the knee soon.  It was actually good that I was sick because I didn't feel like being up and at it.  LOL  Happy New Year!

I am working at converting my oldest daughter's former bedroom to just a quilting room.  Almost five years ago, she offered to share the space (she was already out of the house) so I could get a longarm.  Now that she's married, she doesn't come to visit that much, and when she does, her hubby comes too, so that twin bed has lost its appeal, and they use the guest room.  :D 

So far, I've moved out the bed and dresser, added a 6' table (tall height), reorganized the closet (still "storing" a lot of her stuff), hung a pegboard cabinet for thread, and added shelves to hold my CircleLord boards, including the new ones I have on order.  Also working on organizing my notes, tips, and other papers, notions, supplies, etc.  Just ordered more pegboard hooks for the thread storage.  It's not a quilt studio (my sewing space will continue to be in our daylight basement), but the quilting room will be a lot easier to use when I'm done!

I have been sick with a bad cold since Christmas. Have been staying get in and away from people. Did not quilt today. Watched the Rose Bowl Parade a ball game and knitted. Will start on one of my vintage ones tomorrow though. Wishing all a happy and healthy 2016.

I have been taking it easy, not working on any customer quilts the last 2 weeks, DH is on vacation.

Tuesday I gave 3 hours long-arming hands on lesson to a newbie, she has a new to her 2002 Millenium. She lives few houses away from us.

Pieced a fun Christmas quilt literally from scraps & feel so good not spending a penny on it. It was relaxing to do a project just because & it turned out really good.

Finished hand applique on a wallhanging for our guild quiltshow in February.

Liza, you have a great quilting space & I love that last quilt, I am a fan of vintage. I've been known to rescue unfinished vintage tops & have a few in my collection that are finished, they are special.

Happy new year to all and quilt on.

Terry, your Bonnie Hunter quilt looks gorgeous!

Here's how the quilting on the vintage top looks so far. It's kind of hard to see the quilting. This top has issues, not many of the blocks are square and they don't line up. The seams are off by over an inch in some places! The fabrics range from very thin muslin to heavy duck cloth. It looks like some of the prints are old shirts or other clothing. You can see where there was previous stitching. It is also very dirty. I was afraid to wash it before quilting due to the condition of some of the fabric. I'll give it a good soak in retro clean once I'm done quilting it.

post-1093-0-42989300-1451745109_thumb.jpeg

Archived