Quilting around machine embroidered center block

I have a quilt that I'm going to use the swirls boards on.  The center block of the quilt has large number twelve (12) letters on it (it's a football quilt).  I'm trying to figure out how to handle the center block.  Should I do the swirls right up to the 12 and then just jump over them and start on the other side or do I stop at the edge of the block itself and do stitch in the ditch around the block with no quilting inside.  I don't want to have the 12 shift during quilting and I'm just no sure what to do with it.  

I'd appreciate any input on how to do this.  I can't quilt right over the 12 as the colors won't match and it will look funny.       Thanks for any input.....Mercedes

Mercedes

Sorry, I mis-read you question.  I would have to agree with Lynn, and say to keep the swirl pattern going you are going to have to break thread over the number 12.  Though I am wondering if on the number block in question if you could use invisible thread and just quilt over the block like you did the rest?  Your thread would blend in with the other colors, and your overall pattern would be retained.

In the end, I am sure it will turn out wonderful.  Let us see it when you are done.  Have a great day, and balanced threads. 

Cagey

If you do not want to stitch over the 12; how about just ditching around it just like applique? You could define a border around it and do the swirls up to the border. I would do an echo'd type border - in other words; two rows of stitching to define that number say 1/4" apart to form a framework; then quilt a dense pattern inside the border around the numbers to make them pop. Please post a picture of what you come up with.

Wow, some great ideas.  I think I'm going to do the ditching around the 12 and jump over it with the swirls on the first quilt.  After I do the first line to ditching, I'll decide whether to do two depending on how it looks.  I'd really love to do overall custom on the quilt but I'm just no good enough yet.    Thanks everyone!

It's done and turned out wonderful.  I stitched around the number 12 and did the swirls up to the numbers and jumped over them - had to bury threads around the numbers.   I also liked the idea of using the invisible thread and may try that on the next one.   I'm making three of these with a different embroidered center block.   Thanks everyone!   I'll try to post a picture a little later as I'm trying to finish the second quilt by Sunday morning to give to a friend.  I'm just starting to piece it so lots of work left.

Archived