Quilting Inside or Outside the Basting Line

Our Longarm group has had some discussion on whether to stitch the pattern inside the 1/4 inch basting line or go to the edge of the quilt top. There were different opinions.   I have always quilted inside the basting line trying to get as close to that line as possible.  Now talking with a customer, she said she has quilted (on her domestic machine) not up to the basing line, but up to 1/2 inch from the basted line so she has a little room to trim up the quilt to make sure it is straight.  

So what is the correct way to do this or dose it depend on what the customer wants?  Also, if I quilt up to that based line, how can I know how much shrinkage to allow for?

Thanks for your help.

Carol

Carol:

I believe there is not right or wrong answer to your question, only beliefs in our individual and customer's minds what is best.  In a recent class I took with a past "national teacher of the year" instructor, she explained she always quilted beyond where she felt she would be cutting the sandwich to place here binding.  She intentionally set her feathers or other motifs she did not want cut off inside a line near the edge.  Then outside of that she used a design that would not look bad if or when it was cut off to square up the quilt top.   She felt the stitching better secured the outside edge of the quilt top and back when she was binding it.  She felt less threads unraveled during the process as they were again secured with stitching.  

Now talking with a customer, she said she has quilted (on her domestic machine) not up to the basing line, but up to 1/2 inch from the basted line so she has a little room to trim up the quilt to make sure it is straight.  

Maybe draw her 1/2 inch line, quilt all your detail work up to there, and then make perpendicular lines that mirror the inner design but flow back and forth across the 1/4 inch basting line.  I cannot remember a particular eye candy image of a quilt top where this was done, but I am sure someone will chime in with a picture or another counter response.  

Talk with the customer, explain the process as you see it, and let her make the choice.  That way they get exactly what they want.  You can try different ways with future quilts and customers, and have a more informed/experienced input.  Best of luck to you.

Cagey

For allover designs, I stitch to the edge of the top, so there is quilting to the edge even after I trim.  If there is a design I don't want trimmed, I make sure I place it at least 3/8" in from the edge so I can trim (if needed) and add binding.

Archived