Mono poly thread by Superior

Now I need to determine how the spool needs to be placed on the Freedom:  vertical or horizontal.  I don't have the horizontal attachment for my machine.  I may be back for more advice.  I also don't have the mono poly in the bobbin.  I will need to do some testing before hand, and perhaps a shopping trip to Sparrow Studioz Edmonton. 

Caddy:  I'm no expert on using Mono-poly, but I think most folks recommend using a different type thread in the bobbin.  I've heard that the invisible thread doesn't hold itself well.  As far as vertical or horizontal mount, it depends on how the spool/cone is wound.  If it's a spool with ends on it flat wound, you'll need a horizontal mount.  If it's cross wound with no ends on the spool, or on a cone, it should be mounted vertically.  I just bought myself some on a large cone which will be used just like any other cone.  Hope this helps.  Jim

My Monopoly is a large cone; I use it on the vertical spool just like any other. I have a piece of batting wedged in the thread guide above the spool that keeps my threads in place. I have never used Monopoly in the bobbin; I've always used my regular pre-wound bobbins. Superior Threads have marvelous tutorials on all their threads. Check out their website. 

Caddy:

APQS says only fill the bobbin half full for a L sized bobbin, and a 1/4 full for a M sized bobbin.  The class I took also said to slow down the speed you wind the bobbin, and back off a great deal on the tension.  You do not want the monofilament to be stretched as it goes on the bobbin.  If it does, it can cause tension issues.

If you are not sure if you need to place the spool vertical or horizontal, it is explained rather clearly at the 9 minute 38 second point on the above video I shared.  

If you want to go MacGyver, find a three to four inch block of that comes in the bottom of a dry flower pot or one of those 3 inch styrofoam Christmas balls.  Then find a pencil or chopstick that finds inside of your monofilament spool.  Shove the pencil/chopstick slightly off center of the foam.  Slide your monofilament spool onto the pencil/chopstick.  Pull off the disk on the bottom of one of your Aurifil spools.  Put it on the pencil/chopstick up against the monofilament spool.  Then rubber band it in place.  Then holding the Christmas ball perpendicular to your spool pin on your quilting machine, push the Christmas ball down onto the spool pin.  Be sure to offset slightly to one side, so you do not hit or come too close to the pencil/chopstick of the Christmas ball might break.  That should hold you until you can get a vertical spool of monofilament or until you get a horizontal spool holder.  

Best of luck to you.  Thank you asking the question, as I have learned a lot from the posts, and watching the video again.  It is great when you learn something new, to improve your skill set.

Cagey

Archived