What to do with excess WD40?

I am following the video about checking/fixing timing. I removed my bobbin hook assembly. There were a few spots that needed buffing. After doing that, Amy says to give the assembly a good bath in WD40 and then oil.

Okay. Working outside, I held the assembly over the plastic lid of an empty mayo jar and spritzed WD40 in and around the assembly. Now I have about a teaspoon of excess WD40 in that lid. How do I dispose of it? Just leave it out there to evaporate? Or is there a better way?

Thanks.  Now please send all positive energy that I will be able to reassemble all this and get my Beast stitching properly again. Thanks!

Thanks for taking time to answer, Sharon. I'm uneasy to do that since it is flammable, not that I'm using flames near my trash. LOL

Actually, I bet your suggestion would be great for most people here on the forum. But I didn't mention I'm in Phoenix. It will be about 110 today, and I think the temperature of a closed trash can would be even higher than that, so that's why I hesitate to put it in the trash.

For now it is still outside in the heat, hopefully evaporating quickly. I'm still hoping to learn if there is a better way or maybe a "correct" way to dispose of it.

Here is a link to everything you wanted to know about WD-40 except for you question.  https://wd40.com/faqs

WD-40® aerosol is considered flammable for other reasons beyond flashpoint. Aerosols must be tested for “flame extension” (how far a spray will carry a flame), and “flashback” (whether the spray carries the flame back toward the user). WD-40® does not have flashback, but can carry a flame forward, so it is categorized as flammable.

I believe if you simply collect it on a paper towel, let it air dry, and then throw it in the trash can you should be fine.  I have to ask, do you have the same concern when you put Cutex on a cotton ball to remove our fingernail polish, and then promptly throw said cotton ball in trash can?  

Just found this, #6 gives you the answer your looking for; https://www.cla.purdue.edu/polsci/documents/safetydocs/msdadocs/wd40.pdf

6 – Accidental Release Measures 

Methods and Materials for Containment/Cleanup: Leaking cans should be placed in a plastic bag or open pail until the pressure has dissipated. Contain and collect liquid with an inert absorbent and place in a container for disposal. 

Cagey

Jim;

The actual propellant of WD40 is CO2.  WD40 will burn when sprayed because of the atomization, but will not follow up the spray into the can.  

Cagey

A propellant is the stuff that helps pump WD-40® Multi-Use Product out of the can. The propellant used is carbon dioxide (CO2). CO2 is an inert gas which helps empty the can.

WD-40® aerosol is considered flammable for other reasons beyond flashpoint. Aerosols must be tested for “flame extension” (how far a spray will carry a flame), and “flashback” (whether the spray carries the flame back toward the user). WD-40® does not have flashback, but can carry a flame forward, so it is categorized as flammable.

Oh, my gosh! That is a lot of helpful information and some extra knowlege. LOL!

Thank you, Cagey, for the explanation about flashpoint and flame extension -- very interesting things I had not considered. And, yes, the rare times I use nail polish and, then, polish remover, I leave the cotton balls on paper towel in the enamel sink to dry out before they go into the trash. I am not sure when or where I developed this caution about those things going into the trash, but it is something I think about.

Thank you for weighing in, also, Jim and Mary. Knowing other knowledgeable people are comfortable with it makes me feel better.

For the record, a good bit of liquid did evaporate, leaving the oil behind. I believe WD-40 to be a combination of, basically, kerosene and oil, hence its cleaning and lubricating functions, and I am sure there is also a propellant of some sort to help expel it from the can. That propellant probably disperses or evaporates right away, leaving behind the WD-40 formula of kerosene and oil. That is not scientific or specific, but my layman's understanding.

Anyway, thanks for putting my mind at ease, everyone. I hope you're all having a relaxing holiday weekend.

I just checked my can, and Cagey is correct, the propellant is CO2.  It used to be propane.  You could use it as a starting aid in your car or truck.  I guess it doesn't work as that anymore.

WD40 is a water displacing lube, thus the name WD.  I think it is a specific lube designed to displace water.  Neither kerosene nor oil, but good for holding off rust from damp conditions.  Jim

Archived