Bobbin Winder

I just realized something...I have had my Millie for 3 years and I just realized that the bobbin winder is on the left side, I'm right handed...I didn't just realize that! I can't do anything with my left hand. It's like my left hand belongs to someone else, it's just attached to my body. So when I replace that blasted little tube that I consider a manufacturing defect - I have the hardest time getting it on that little metal post...that's why...I'm right handed and it's on the wrong side of the machine. I know it can't be the right side...there is way too much going on over there for sure...

Just had an a-ha moment as Oprah would say, so I thought I would share...thank you for listening ;)

Mary Beth... Good luck with that... I went to wind a bobbin and I found that since my Compu Quilter was added the bobbin winder is not longer on my machine. Therefore... backings usually have either off white or white stiching on them.

Good luck with your situation...

Barb

Mary Beth, you are so funny! Don't you hate it when you've been doing something one way (and cursing under your breath) and then find that you've been doing it wrong and the right way is so much easier! I spent three hours trying to thread my serger only to discover that I had forgotten to switch a lever. Once I switched that lever the serger was threaded in less than a minute.

I don't know what your blasted little tube (aka manufacturer's defect) is since I don't have a Millie, but I'm sure I'll find out when I come for MQS. Two weeks and two days to go!

Phyllis

Mary Beth

From the back and it will be on the right. :D

A little tid bit: I found out that the little plastic cover is just gas line tubing used for model airplanes and can be purchased at any hobby store. Made me crazy trying to replace it. Also, my prewound plastic bobbins fit on my Janome DSM and now I use that for my bobbin winder. Just thought I'd share.

Joanne,

I too have a Janome and tried the metal bobbins and they don't fit....so prewound plastic bobbins, hmm!

Also, I had heard that the tubing for model planes would work so I went looking...Hobby Lobby doesn't carry them; Michael's doesn't carry them. I did find a model airplane shop very close to home...I went there without the tubing, thinking that I could just "remember" what size I need, since I have a mind like a steel trap! They have 3 sizes- who knew? I bought a foot, it was about 79 cents....but.....it was the wrong size. I have obtained a piece of the correct tubing - so now I will go back to the airplane store with the right size in hand and get the correct size.

Mary Beth,

I called Superior Thread after being totally frustrated winding Rainbow Thread and asked if they ever considered prewound bobbins in other colors. They told me that they will wind any thread, all I have to do is buy the cone and for $.50 a bobbin they will wind them.

APQS has an AWESOME stand-alone bobbin winder available. You don't have to be either Right or Left handed:P

The turbo winder has a tensioner just like on your machines and will handle ANY thread that I have tried winding! Yes, I still use the bobbin winder on my Millennium; although that is no longer available on the newer machines! However, if I am working on quilt like the one I have today I wind LOTS of bobbins on my stand-alone winder!

We usually have a couple of them in stock here at Country Lane Quilting at all times and can almost always ship the very same day; and you can put it on your credit card if you wish!

Mary Beth,

I knew I really liked you.....we could be sisters, separated at birth, which would mean I finally have a little sister. YEAH.

I too am totally right handed....I don't know how many times I have told people that my left arm and hand are only there so I stand up straight...its just a counter weight. Oh and it does come in handy for a place to showcase my wedding ring, but that's about it.:D:D:D

And the stand alone bobbin winder.....I got one with my machine....man I couldn't be without it...worth the price in my eye.

I paid for the built in bobbin winder....don't want to have to fork out more money when I already have a bobbin winder...I'll wait till this one poops out - then I'll be the first one in line to get the stand alone.

Bonnie,

I know I'd be lost without it, and don't want to find out...but sometimes it just doesn't work right:D

I have the stand alone bobbin winder and I don't like it. I use it behind my Bernina so I can use a large cone of thread (expensive holder). When they name them turbo they got it right. It goes so fast it scares the willies right out of ya.

Mary Beth if it wasn't worth a lot I would send it to ya.

Sheryl, that's a nice thought, and that's what counts ;)

I don't mind using the on board winder....it's just a little unhandy. I can't figure out why they didn't just make the post like the one on my DMS that doesn't need a little rubber hose...I wonder why?!

Archived