Grammas hand pieced quilt

I am happy cause......I just had a call from a gal who's gramma passed away and they found this quilt top which is hand pieced. She would like me to quilt it for her and I am wondering if you ladies have any advise for me.

I am sad cause......our budget does not allow the building of a studio, so we will move the master bedroom in to my sewing room, and the sewing room and Freedom into the bedroom which is a 16x20 (who needs a big bedroom anyway right?)

I know a few of you ladies have your machines in your bedrooms, where do you have your bedroom? It will all fit nicely anf get the monster our of my living room, but I would have soooo liked the outside studio.

Anyway...such is life, the lotto is just not cooperating

Monika,

My sewing got moved to the master bedroom when I got MaryAnna(my Millie) and the old sewingroom became the master. All my furniture fit into the new "master" and the room is actually quieter and cozier which we both like. I too wish I could have a separate studio.

Happy quilting:)

Here is a really old quilt I just took off the machine last night, is was handpieced and fragile, old, old fabrics, and several of the blocks were puffy..not much I could do about that. I did put on the rollers as it needed to be stretched to try and pull out some of the puffiness. This is the 2nd old quilt I have done for this woman and I use a larger scale pattern just to hold it together but not fight with the quilt..you don't want too much on these older quilts. I'll add a close up pic after this one....

post--13461898105818_thumb.jpg

Thank you Quilt Junkie (Hester) that is a lovely quilt, I will take my time with this one. I haven't seen it yet, she will bring it by on Sunday, she said her Gramma did nice work. I am looking forward to the challenge.

and thank you Karen, I feel better about making the change, it will really be cozy cause we have a king and there will not be much room to move around.

Monika - I have also quilted a bunch of old quilt tops. Like Hester said -

just take your time. Do not crank them too tight on the rollers, and hope

for a nice flat and square top. Most of the ones I have done went very

smooth. I did have one that the fabric was falling apart in spots. Certain

colors - have to be a bit more gentle with those babies..... The icky one

had also been hand quilted in spots.... had to rip that out..... oh - and

found a few needles and pins in it to! Yeicks!! You just never know!

Good luck and share a photo with us when your done. Love looking at

old vintage fabrics!

I have one exactly like that at home to do...Trip Around the World, hand pieced in the 40's-50's. I can't see what quilting you did...I was thinking something like clam shells or baptist fan. It's one of 3 tops that this customer has asked me to to. They're all fragile, and the sizing is all over the place. On one quilt the width ranges from 89 to 93 inches. Did you square yours...these are pieced right to the edge and I don't even know how to go about squaring it!

Lynne in Ann Arbor

Originally posted by sewingupastorm

Here is the photo of the handpieced quilt I did recently for a customer:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2724282330053837050sRLtGc

The poor top was almost a rag and very fragile. I did a full float of the top and treated it with great care very gently. It came out really nice.

Show us some photos when you finish the quilt.

I'll pass on some useful info I was given by Bev Dunivent (AQS certified appraiser) when I was given an antique top to quilt.

Do not stress the fabric (no brainer there so, of course, a full float to load and support the rest by folding up on the front roller.)

Check for open seams.

Do not clean the top. This surprised me as the top was stained and discolored from storage. Bev said to quilt first and then if it absolutely had to be cleaned after, have that done by a textile professional. My customer opted to leave the top as it was--it wasn't dirty, just stained.

This is my hint--respect the design. If it's possible, pick something that matches the hand quilting that would have been done at that era. If not, let the piecing shine by matching thread colors if possible.

My customer with this top was not a quilter--she just wanted a treasure finished so she could place it on her bed and pass down to her kids. She had another finished quilt that needed major repairs--not something I would take on. Bev suggested that she leave it as-is and fold to display in a large basket of over the back of a chair. The repair would have cost more than the quilt would be worth in the end. Hope this helps somebody.

Linda Rech

Olympia

Hester, love that quilt. what you quilted was perfect, it still let the piecing shine. thanks for posting and sharing the name of the panto.

Somewhere buried in my mother's "stuff" I have 2 antique quilts that my great grandmother pieced. Now I want to go dig through smelly old boxes and find them, if the spiders in the storage area will just go on vacation.:P

Monika,

I am in the process of quilting a very very old G.Garden quilt. ALL hand pieced. Looking at the fabric, im guessing its 1940's, maybe...50's. So far, just had a "few" areas where the piecing was loose, maybe a single stitch coming out. I asked if she wanted it tacked down, and she said "no" she wanted it Just Like Her Grandma Made it. Its not going to be used, just to hang for show.

I think if there are no thin areas, you'll do just fine. This one scared me too at first, but Im having no other issues at the present.

One of these days, I have to figure out this posting a picture issue...for some reason, my laptop or "I" can't figure it out! Probably the latter....LOL!

I'll bet you'll do JUST FINE! Just have fun with it. I love looking at the old quilts...their my fave!!!!

Archived