T-shirt quilt

Congratulations on your new Lucy. You are going to love your machine.  Assuming the t-shirts have a stabilizer on them, remember to go a little slower over them. Also if any screen printing on them, slower there as well.  Lucy can handle it, just being kind. ")

Watch out for the sticky lettering on some of the shirts.  They would gum my needle and then I'd throw the needle away.  But, Barb Mayfield said she just cleans hers in alcohol and reuses it.  I have better success with a 4.5 needle with my Millenium.

• 5 months later...

Hello , 

I need some help concerning other " Materials " given to make a T-shirt Quilt.. I was given a Jacket with plastic / varsity type lettering .. debating on whether to give it back to the Customer or putting it in the quilt even though its not T-shirt softness.. and will the machine even stitch thru that lettering .. its not the 'gummy' type lettering .. its more " plastic' or stiffer than normal .. Has anyone stitched thru materials such as the 15 ' in the picture ? 

IMG_3653.JPG

I would give that one back. I prefer working with t-shirts that are 100% cotton and using a woven stabilizer. I have found that the dry fit t-shirts don't work very well either. As stated by InezR, sew slowly over the designs. I like t-shirt quilts that have a little fabric around the blocks, not just blocks of t-shirts to add contrast and interest. A friend of mine used a "water" fabric as the base for her daughters water skiing t-shirts. Adorable!

Here's one of mine:

Peachtree.gif

On 10/4/2018 at 3:34 AM, RABurgan said:

Hello , 

I need some help concerning other " Materials " given to make a T-shirt Quilt.. I was given a Jacket with plastic / varsity type lettering .. debating on whether to give it back to the Customer or putting it in the quilt even though its not T-shirt softness.. and will the machine even stitch thru that lettering .. its not the 'gummy' type lettering .. its more " plastic' or stiffer than normal .. Has anyone stitched thru materials such as the 15 ' in the picture ? 

IMG_3653.JPG

You can quilt through this but go slow. Or, you could just quilt around the numbers. Whatever you feel most comfortable with. Remember that these machines are industrial strength. 

• 5 months later...

Archived