semi custom

Hi,  I am working on a quilt called the raven.  I would like to detail the leaves with veins and the raven's wings with thread strokes.  Because I am not able to do custom I would like to add edge to edge feathers.  Is this exceptable to do edge to edge with this little bit of detailing?

On 8/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, eileenfast said:

Hi,  I am working on a quilt called the raven.  I would like to detail the leaves with veins and the raven's wings with thread strokes.  Because I am not able to do custom I would like to add edge to edge feathers.  Is this exceptable to do edge to edge with this little bit of detailing?

Sure! You can do whatever you want! So, I am assuming that you are doing the edge to edge feathers, and then going back afterwards and adding details to the leaves and wings. That would look nice! :) Please share a photo we would love to see it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, Vicki!!!!!! That is lovely.

OK I have to ask... I don't cross hatch very often (rare rare)  So, can you share how you cross hatch over the applique? Do you stop, start or do you tack and hop over and tack and start quilting again and then snip the hops later? Do you mark the hatches? How do you get it so even and straight? Do you load it on point so you can do vertical and horizontal stitches rather than diagonal? Share your secrets, BABY!!! 

Hi Shana and Lisa,

Just now checking back in...I do not crosshatch over applique, I try to sneak over to the next line by stitching very close to the applique, my goal is to make the applique look like it lays on top of the crosshatched background.  I did some mini crosshatching in a few of the acorns but used Lisa Calle's little rulers that work great by the way.  I do use my large 24" ruler to mark the grid with an air erase pen or chalk depending on the darkness of the fabric because I sneak around the appliques that gives me the next line to work on...I do always start at a 45 degree angle in each bottom corner and if the square is square it will end up meeting the upper corners as well, I am working on another one that has rectangular blocks with some crosshatching so the tops don't end up looking like the bottom corners.  But that also allows each block to be the same if they are square so the crosshatching seems to  line up under the sashing too....that's it...that's all there is to it...I always work bottom to top of block so my ruler is on the same side of my hopping foot...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived