kbaumbusch

Does basting an entire quilt before quilting it cause any problems?

I've read posts on whether people baste an entire quilt or not, but I was taught to baste as you advance.  I've often thought it would maybe be faster to just baste the whole thing before quilting it but I was afraid that as the quilt draws up during the quilting process it could cause problems.  Any advice?

Well, I'm not a pro by any means, but I never baste a quilt, unless its something that is out of kilter, or I am needing to for something special.  I just start quilting after getting it set up on my frame.  I'm sure some of the pros will let you know what they do, but sounds like it would be more trouble than its worth.

E09E59CAF06403E058848257636B2E85.png

If you plan on rolling the quilt back and forth, because you are changing thread colours or repeating a particular motif in different areas, basting keeps everything squared up.  If a quilt top is particularly "wonky", basting allows you to distribute the wonkiness evenly, so that you can minimize pleats.  Not much different than when you do all the SID before the rest of the quilting.

Gail Olfert

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of times our breath is taken away

On 2/8/2019 at 8:42 AM, kbaumbusch said:

I've read posts on whether people baste an entire quilt or not, but I was taught to baste as you advance.  I've often thought it would maybe be faster to just baste the whole thing before quilting it but I was afraid that as the quilt draws up during the quilting process it could cause problems.  Any advice?

If I plan to quilt different sections as I go, I use corsage pins to baste my quilt in those sections (as I advance along)

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

I baste the top, sides and bottom as I go.  I float all my quilts.  If I'm doing custom, I will do like quiltmonkey and use corsage pins to baste around the area I'm working.   Hand quilters will have us longarmers baste their quilts to save them the time of pin basting.

Connie
Port Huron, MI   48060
APQS Sales Rep and Educator
Millennium with Intelliquilter (IQ)

"Be a good listener, your ears will never get you in trouble" Frank Tygr

sewsweetgator@aol.com
http://www.yoursite.com
287890c1690b93fca26ac74c1d32b308.png