New Wheels?

I read a post on another list that APQS has new wheels out. The other party had one of the Ult machines. Are the new black wheels only for this model or all the machines? She indicates the wheels are made out of a different material. Any advantages to the new wheels? Just wondering.

Thanks.

Nancy-Millenninum

Northern MN

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, me again. I haven't heard from anyone yet on the APQS new wheels. On another list there was some information re Edgerider wheels. Excerpt below. How do the Edgeriders compare to the new APQS? Thanks! Nancy

Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:15:40 -0000

Subject: Re:Edgerider Wheels-APQS

Actually, the EdgeRider idea was tested on APQS ULTIMATE-II machines,

back in 2003. After realizing how much stability they gave the

machine, we started developing wheels for other brands.

KenQuilt became the first (and so far the only) machine manufacturer

that wanted to utilize the benefits of the design. Their longarm

machines, including the new Princess, come with a version of the

EdgeRider wheels.

The first wheels for Gammill machines were offered for sale at the

last MQS by QuiltTech (www.quilttech.com). King's Men Quilting Supply

(www.kmquiltingsupply.com) also carries the product.

The refinement of the APQS ULTIMATE-II wheels was shortly followed by

the development of horizontal wheels for the ULTIMATE-I and

Millennium machines, the latter with provisions for APQS's new "gear

style" channel lock. Currently we are testing a design for HQ-16

machines.

We are just one of the companies trying to improve the wheels. A

couple of manufacturers answered the complaints from their customers

about the handling of the machines, which was caused by the design

and material of the wheels. A-1 Quilting Machines came out first with

wheels made of high quality plastic. Half of the wheels in their set

contain dual ball bearings to reduce "wobbliness". The A-1 wheels can

be used on Gammill and APQS machines too. APQS also changed the

material of their wheels, aiming for easier rolling and less residue

buildup. Some of you heard that Gammill would come out with a new

wheel design.

To help those who interested, here is some technical information you

can use when comparing the different wheel options for your machine:

The EdgeRider wheels provide stability and easy rolling at the same

time by combining three major design solutions:

- Shape: in different ways for each machine, but the wheels are

either "wedged" between the edges of rails, or "grab" the rails to

eliminate sideways play, thus holding the machine firmly on the

tracks. Some Gammill customers report an unexpected side effect of

the "wedging":less vibration.

- Material: the wheels are made of a high quality plastic, with an

"oily feel" to its surface, which reduces abrasiveness, one of the

causes of aluminum oxide buildup. (Finding the proper material was a

gradual process, some of the first series were made of a softer

plastic that caused flat spot development.)

- Dual ball bearings: to reduce the unavoidable axial play (wobbling)

of any single ball bearing, the EdgeRider wheels have two ball

bearings. This feature increases the stability of the machines, and

on machines with horizontal wheels reduces the strain on the

individual bearings, and practically equivalent with the use of more

expensive thrust ball bearings.

It is worth noting that the Nolting covered track design has all of

the above features, but Fred Nolting achieved it with only half of

the ball bearings. Actually, his design inspired our efforts in

engineering wheels for other machines.

The EdgeRider wheel sets come with all the fasteners and spacers

needed for installation. Detailed installation instructions are also

included.

(this material comes from Machine Quilting Professional on yahoo.com)

I have the EdgeRider wheels for my Discovery, and they have helped immensely with the way my machine moves. The wheels made the difference between a machine I wasn't real happy with :(, to a machine that I now find almost perfect :D! I would also be interested in hearing about these new APQS wheels if they exist, just in case they might be better than the EdgeRider wheels ;).

Yes, the wheels are most definately available. I contacted Intellistitch yesterday and they are 160.00+ shipping for a set of 8. My wheels are in great shape, but if I needed to change them, this would be the way I'd go. Not dealing with q-tips with alcohol and waxing the rails sounds fabulous!!!

Michelle L. Miller/ 2003 APQS MILLENNIUM(******** FOR SALE**********):)

It is way past time for APQS to do something about the wheels. It is getting very furstrating to have to wax the rails and clean the wheels every couple of hours to keep the machine from feeling like it weighs 1000 pounds.

This is especially annoying when you have to wax and clean with a quilt loaded. So far the unthinkable has not happened and I have not gotten any black crud on a quilt but I fear it is only a matter of time. Hopefully it will not be on a client quilt.

Gloria

Millie

There is no need to spend a lot of time waxing the rails. The only rail that is causing more friction is the long rail on the rear of the table because more weight from the machine head is resting on it.

When you feel drag, spray a little silicon spray on a paper towel and wipe it on the rear rail and the machine glides like grease lightning.

A quick cleaning job of the wheels can be done by folding up some paper towel and holding it over the rails then just run over it with the wheels and most of the black stuff ends up on the paper towel.

Jurgen

Hi All,

Jurgen brought up a great point, that is, you shouldn't have to wax the rails all the time. It will leave a build up on your wheels.. Normally if you are waxing and then right away it is hard to move, something else is wrong..

As far as the wheels, I know you all are waiting to hear the official word rom APQS, which you will this week!

I can tell you this, we have a new system that we have been working on and several people have been trying this out and so far it is 2 thumbs up!!!!

It will Not be the new Edgerider wheels, as they are so new and the verdict for long term is really still out on those! We did get a set and have tried them on our table and machine here at the factory! We are sure you will all love the new system!!!!!!

If you have questions or would like to know about our new wheels, contact us and we will answer any questions!

Have a Great Day!!

Connie Hurst

APQS Service Mgr/Tech.

800-426-7233 ext. 6

Guest Linda S

Oh I cannot wait to hear. I love the way my machine moves now, but if it can be even smoother, that would be just dreamy! ;) I hope the announcement will let us know about pricing, how easy (?) the wheels are to change out, etc.

Thanks Connie! Looking forward to the announcement!

Linda

Connie,

Will you have the longer bolts for the wheels for those of us who are using the Circle Lord? Because of the need to raise the carriage up a little higher, Circle Lord provided longer bolts for the wheels than the original ones that came with from APQS. I, too, am awaiting to hear more about the new wheels. I prefer to use APQS developed products first and foremost!

Thanks.

Nancy

Guest Linda S

I had heard about the Edgerider wheels myself, but I prefer to have something that is actually made by APQS. I had heard a few rumors about new wheels. Although I really love my machine as is, being a relative newbie, I can use all the help I can get! :P I'm getting really good at pantos and freehand on my own stuff, but I sort of freeze at doing feathers and fancy stuff for my customers. With a little better glide, I'm sure I'll have more confidence.

Don't keep us waiting too long -- I'm so excited!

Linda

Hay Connie,

How are you? Long time no see... I don't get on the chat line very often but I am taking a day off.. Ha Ha Ha. I will be very interested to hear about the new system (or wheels). I have never had to wax my rail or replace my wheels. Maybe it's just to cold up here in Canada for any kind of build up to accure. Come to think of it I can't remember the last time I even cleaned my rails, but my machine guides beautifully so I am not one to try and fix what is not broken. Can't wait to see and or try the new system maybe when I am at the factory next month??? OK time for me to get back to work. See you soon Connie.... Sue

Hey Connie-

I am curious about the new wheels... I bought my Millie six months ago and am curious to know whether new owners will have to buy the improved wheels or if they may be provided as a retrofit for free or reduced cost if APQS does adopt new wheels? Please advise when you post the answer on the latter.

Thx!

Connie,

I don't go to the Toyota dealership to get parts for my Ford, unless Ford doesn't carry it and it's a universal item for relatively the same price!! I might go to the selvage yard for some used Ford parts (I bought my Milleninum used) :) APQS has really come thru for their customers in both service and parts so why go looking for trouble elsewhere?

Nancy :)

Duluth, MN

• 2 weeks later...

My husband told me he saw a blurb on this site a few weeks ago mentioning new wheels coming out. When, what are they made of, how are they different, what is the cost?

Are they better than the edge rider wheels that are all the rage?

Any info would be great:)

Mo

Guest Linda S

Mo - the new wheels are black, don't know exactly what they are made out of. I ordered mine last week. Apparently there is also a "float system" of some sort. You need to call service and ask directly about this. I don't think there will be a public announcement.

Linda

Archived