Timing Ultimate 2

sewcute

I have an Ultimate 2.  It wasn't stitching.  So I followed most of the timing video.  except for adjusting the needle bar.  When I put the flathead screw driver in there, I don't feel anything to "screw".  Am I missing something? (Yes the screw driver is long enough, I bought a long one.)

I’m not sure about the Ultimate 2 but if I recall correctly the hole doesn’t quite line up with the clamp when the needle is in the lowest position.  Try looking for the screw with a flashlight shining through the hole.  When you see the screw then you will have an idea how to aim the screwdriver.  I think it is up and a little towards the rear but it has been years since I had to touch one.

Nigel

If you are talking about adjustment to the needle bar... I would test the needle bar for movement.  there should be absolutely NO movement in the needle bar.  If there is, then you probably need to replace the needle bar.  I had to do this with my ULT 2 that I purchased used.  Once I got that done, then timed the machine.  I haven't had any issues since.  

You stated that you machine was not stitching...no stitches at all? or incorrect stitches with tension and/or timing issues? 

I'm not totally sure of your question as to adjustment by screwing something related to the needle bar. ??  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but here's what I suggest.  Remove the side cover (the one to the left when facing the machine-not the one with the tension mechanism).  This will let you see what you're doing, and keep you from damaging the screw head trying to turn it.  Loosen the screw so you can move the needle bar up and down.  Snug the screw so it take a little effort to move it, then adjust to where you want it, and finally tighten it down soundly.  While you have the side cover off, clean out any thread or dirt that might be trapped, put a drop of oil on the needle bar, and then reassemble. My machine came with a set of fine photos showing how the hook/needle should look  when properly adjusted.  If you don't have them maybe APQS can send a set.  Good luck.  Jim

You are not late, cause it's still not fixed :/ I figured out how to adjust it (the needle needed to be in the DOWN position) I missed that!

They recently sent them, I will try moving the needle down a smidge.  After going through and adjusting the bobbin, etc for the timing it still won't stitch, so I am hoping moving the needle helps :/

Have you read/seen needle height adjustment instructions?  Following them, even without the photos, you should be able to get a pretty good adjustment.  It sounds like you might have other timing issues as well.  Poor needle bar adjustment will generally cause skipped stitches or broken thread.  Hitting a needle may have thrown hook timing off as well.  Jim