Formula for estimating the number of bobbins needed

There is no formula that I know of.  There are too many variables mainly the density of your quilting.  I don’t know about Quilt Path but Intelliquilter will tell you how many linear yards are in your pattern when you set it up to sew.  When I was quilting I would start with a full bobbin and sew the first full pass of my pantograph and then look to see how much bobbin was left.  If there was not enough for the next pass I would start another new bobbin.  I avoided restarts in the middle of the a pass.  My time was more valuable than wasting maybe a couple of dollars of thread over a quilt. After a while you will have an idea of how long you can quilt on a bobbin for instance I could go about 15 minutes on a self wound and 22 to 25 on a prewound but your mileage will vary as they say. 

Nigel

Casual Qulter,

This video should help.  Though it does not specifically state that you need to have twice that number to include the bobbin thread.  See the discussion tab/section above the video.  https://www.nationalquilterscircle.com/video/how-much-thread-015609/#

Superior shows their SuperBoBs 60wt  have about 118 yards for a L sized bobbin, and 215 yards for a M sized bobbin.  Superior also has a chart you can print out for you to reference.  https://www.superiorthreads.com/education/estimating-thread-use

If you wind your own bobbins, you will not be able to wind your bobbins as tight as pre-wounds.  I would guess you would have about 10-15% less thread for the same sized bobbin.  

Hopefully this will help you.  

Best of luck with your project.

Cagey

• 1 year later...