In need of advice...Lucey or the new HQ Moxie?

PKS

In need of advice.  I am new to long arm quilting and torn between Lucey or the new HQ Moxie (same as Babylock Gallant).  The Moxie costs around $5,000, whereas the Lucey (with Bliss, upgrades, delivery, sales tax) is about $15,000.  (I recently put money down to hold a Lucey during the recent sale.)  The Moxie has a 15 inch throat with a 8 foot table (expandable to 10.)  It includes only the bare essentials, but seems like a solid machine.

I retired several years ago and began quilting as a hobby and would use the machine to finish my own quilt tops.  I don't really plan on making large size quilts.  I am thinking that if I purchase the smaller Moxie, I might be sorry because of the smaller throat size.  But, for the difference in cost, it might be all that I need.

Any thoughts?

Hi,

well it depends....but if you have done some long arming at all and know you love it.  I would really go with the Lucey.  Now to be fair, I have a Lucey and I upgraded from a small mid-arm system....and there is no comparison.  One of my friends recently just got a new demo Lucey and she also upgrade from an 18 inch neck of another brand...she is so happy.  She had used my machine when she visited a few years back and just retired.  Lucey is a basic machine.....I got Bliss and I got a 12 foot table.  I am so glad I got both of these features.  Now to be fair.  I basically have not quilted on any other machine recently other than a Freddie....I do mainly lap sized quilts, and a few queen, and a very infrequent king.  No problems with having enough space with anything I have done.  I did do some research before buying Lucey....but in the end I got it.  My friend also got QuiltPath.  I am just happy doing my little meandering with a few motifs thrown in.  I have done some ruler work...umm...I don't really like it....I make utility qullts mostly that get put on a bed or on a couch, or over me in my recliner....It is so nice to be able to complete my quilts myself.  Other people do way fancier stuff on their APQS but I am happy with what I do.  

Thank you for your response.  I have not long armed before, other than trying out the machines for a few minutes at an APQS show.  There are no dealers in my area to try anything out, especially right now with Covid.  However, I think that I would like long arming. 

One, plus for Lucey:   I just completed a quilt composed of 12 inch squares on point.  I would not be able to complete one full block using the Gallant/Moxie because of the throat space.  From what I garner, there would only be about an 11 inch width of usable space.  But, I suppose I could divide the block in half and do half at a time.

It is good to know that you are happy with your Lucey purchase. Maybe that would be my best bet, despite the difference in cost. 

Have you checked out the used APQS sale?  There was one recently and there was a 2019 Lucey for $9,950.00.  It may well have sold but the sales roll around every so often.  If you don't already get APQS e-mails it might be a good idea to sign up.

I don't know anything about the HQ machine you are interested in, but one thing I would check is if it is possible to do any repair work yourself or if the machine would need to be shipped back to the factory.  APQS machines, as you probably know are industrial machines and are very solid, reliable machines.  It is possible to change out parts when necessary, with the help of customer service.  There rarely is a need to ship the machine back unless it is going for a spa treatment.

Good luck with your shopping!!

It sounds like you are comparing a fully-equipped Cadillac (Lucey) to a base-model Chevrolet.  Yes, both Cadillac and Chevrolet make good vehicles, but the Bliss and upgrades on the Lucey will definitely raise the price over a base model from any manufacturer, including APQS. 

I do not think you can go wrong with APQS, especially since you made your deposit during the recent sale.  Good luck with your decision making.

Very rarely does someone wish they had a smaller car, a smaller boat, or a smaller kitchen.  With that being said, I would go with the Lucey.

If it is about the cost, you could always go with a used APQS machine.  There were some recent older model Millies for sale closer to the Moxie cost.  

I do not think you can go wrong with a new or well cared for used APQS machine.  

Best of luck making your decision.

Cagey

Thank you Cagey, Betsy, Sue, and Sewingpup for your thoughtful responses.   I have been checking for used machines as well.   I guess that I am leaning toward the Lucey (with the deluxe table, bliss, and auto fabric advance.)  My husband thinks that is the one I should purchase as well.  Now I just need to find a spot for her.

Pam

If cost is a real consideration, look at some of the used machines listed here.  While the bliss option might be nice, the price for it is really high.  An older machine without it would serve you well, and could reduce the cost significantly.  These machines are industrial strength, so they never wear out, and APQS service is such that anything that might go wrong can be repaired.  I've got a 23 year old Ult 2 that serves me well.  Great machine.  Jim

Jim, thank you for your input.  I have been watching the forum for used machines, however,  many sellers require the buyer to pick up the machine from a location that is miles from my home in west central Wisconsin. I assume that hauling twelve foot rails would require a trailer.  Also, the  asking price of some used machines is almost the price of new.  Then, I wonder if I should should be looking at a Freddie or Millie, to have the ability to upgrade to "Glide."

PKS,

Do not be afraid to ship a machine.  You can find a packing company in most cities that will come to the home of the seller, remove the item, and then pack/ship the items to you.  They will normally use a freight company to do this, and the items will be delivered to your driveway.  You are responsible from there for moving into your home and assembly.  

I would hope most sellers would work with a buyer to complete this process.  I shipped a large George table from Detroit to Florida, and it was approximately $400 for the entire process.  You can ship cars across the county for less than a thousand dollars.  It depends on the weight, and the size of the item.  As the APQS machine with frame is rather light and can be packed relatively in a small area, the cost to for packing and shipping should not be excessive.

As you would not be viewing the machine in person, you would have to arrange viewing the machine via FaceTime or some other video system, so you can ensure the machine is fully operational.  Though most quilters are an honest lot, so you probable get what is described, maybe even a little more.

If you drive to the seller to check out the machine, you can always drive the machine head, table frame, and other items that will fit in your vehicle home, and only have the rails shipped via freight.  If you have an SUV with a roof rack, you might be able to purchase a 10 foot long 2x10.  Strape the rails to the board, and then strap the entire thing to your roof rack and drive your purchase home.  Just be sure to not overload the roof rack weight limits.  Wrap the rails in plastic wrap to protect them if it rains.

You can rent a U-haul trailer, or even possible barrow a small trailer.  The APQS parts will not weight that much.

You have many options of buying and getting the machine home.  When the time is right, the perfect machine at the right price will turn up.

Best of luck to you finding what works best for you.

Cagey