rulers and templates

teresa1957

I would like some advice as to which templates and rulers everyone likes for the millennium. I know some are of different thicknesses so which is the best to not get caught in the hopping foot.

I have only tried using a ruler once (it was way too thick) but if I used it from the front, it worked great. I really liked how it worked and the look I got from using it.

Judy L., your work is stunning. You do the stich-in-ditch very well! I have lots of practice ahead of me!!!

Teresa: My favorite ruler is a little piece of wood that I cut from a strip we bought at Lowes. If you go back to the topic "Gone Quilting - Chat About Anything", there's a thread in there named "Rulers". I have a picture there of what I use most.

My best advice though is don't go hawg wild buying rulers/templates. I spent way too much $$ on them and I rarely use any of them except the little piece of wood. Donita Reeve at http://lovetoquilt.com/ has a little ruler called "Accuguide" that is pretty neat to have.

Thanks for the compliment on my quilting!

Judy,

Thanks for the tip on rulers. We have a store here called Tap Plastics that I went to yesterday and bought some guides from them. I got 4 different sized circles from 3" across to 12" across. I also bought 2"x3", 3"x7", and a 3" x 10" clear guides. All for the whopping price of $15.48! I think these will really help with my practicing and I couldn't beat the price. Stitch-in-ditch here I come!!!!

Guest Linda S

I don't use rulers or templates much, but the ones I have that I really love are made by Tracey Browning of Constantine Quilts in Australia. I have some of her Continuous Curve templates which fit in your hand really nicely and make it easy to get a smooth curved line in blocks. The end part is perfect for triangles. These also have both concave and convex curves on them, so if you have trouble using a ruler behind your hopping foot, you're good to go with these. Another feature I like about Tracey's rulers is that they are relatively inexpensive compared to other rulers. I'll be taking one of Tracey's classes at MQX this year, so I'll get to know how to use them even better!

Linda

I also have Tracey's rulers, but the one time I tried to use them, I didn't understand how they worked! I have a practice piece ready to load; I think I'll give them another try. I do continuous curve quilting freehand, but it has a "free" look, not symmetrical.

Teri

I was wondering if anyone here has or has thought of making their own rulers?

They sell 1/4 inch plexiglass at Lowe's and the cutters are less than $5. Was thinking about making some of my own. Any thoughts or suggestions?

My other thought on this was that I used a ruler that was not 1/4 in thick. It got caught up underneath my foot and the needle took a chunk of it off. I think that was the beginning of my machine acting goofy at Christmas time. (threw the timimg off on it somehow). Long story short, if you are gonna used ones that are not thick enough, please be careful.

Blessings and hugs,

Tracey

Tracey, Judy posted a picture of a piece of wood "trim" she made 3 rulers from. No exact sizes, but the picture says a lot. I found it by searching for her post on rulers. (Search: JudyL, then ruler) Also, I've seen here that people will glue one smaller ruler on top of another to make a thicker stack. Good idea!

Teri

Lowes has these little strips of "good" wood (oak) that are varying widths and lengths (maybe 2.5", 3.0, 3.5" in width and 12", 18", 24" in length). They are plenty thick enough so there's no chance of the foot jumping them. They're very smooth and all you have to do is cut them into lengths you'd like. I have several but my favorite is about 3 x 7. I can slide it along as needed, my hand can kinda crawl from the back to the front of the ruler while I'm quilting. The strips of wood may be $5 (probably less -- been years since I made these) and if you buy the 24" length, you can get three from one strip . . CHEAP! I love these and you might ask why I have 5 or 6 of them?? Because I lose everything. Then when I clean the room, I find them all and I'm happy again!

• 3 weeks later...

I have Sherry's "Dainty Ditcher"....it is my favorite for stitchin in the ditch or just straight line stitching. It is about the size of a credit card....just a bit longer, and of course 1/4 thick. Very easy to hang on to, and I don't need an extended base on because it is so small. Since it was just under $8.00 I thought it was a bargain.....oh, and it is a neon green/yellow so I can usually find it!!

Cheryl in Iowa

Teresa, I have bought plexiglas from the hardware store before for other quilting uses, like cutting out t-shirt motifs, and squaring up odd sized or shaped blocks, but I can see that that would be too thin. How thick are the plastic pieces you got at the plastic shop?

I have a favorite tool for SID, and that is a long add-a-quarter ruler. To make it "stick" to the fabric I roughed up the "lip" on the underside of the ruler with sandpaper, and it is much thicker than the average rulers are. LOVE IT!

Caron

Valley Quilt Studio

Caron,

I bought 1/4" thick templates. The only problem I have had is if I hold the ruler at the back of the hopping foot where it is angled down and it seems to catch on the ruler. Still learning how to use them :D

I did a great quilt with mostly SID on all the motifs. I relaxed and realized that it would NOT be perfect and just went with it. The quilt if for my grandson and has rocket ships, robots, ufos and stars on it. Came out very cool and the best part is the back shows all the motifs. I am going to take pictures and try to figure how to load them someday!

Originally posted by Teri

Tracey, Judy posted a picture of a piece of wood "trim" she made 3 rulers from. No exact sizes, but the picture says a lot. I found it by searching for her post on rulers. (Search: JudyL, then ruler) Also, I've seen here that people will glue one smaller ruler on top of another to make a thicker stack. Good idea!

Teri

Dragonfly,

Can you tell me more about the cutting tool that you mentioned?

Thanks,

Pam Geary

Archived