Butterfly quilt done

Oh Teresa.......You did a wonderful job ................absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!You should be proud and I'm sure he will show and tell everyone about your work.

Sorry I can't help with the label. There is a lady in my quilt group that has an embroidery machine here in Severville/Pigeon Forge area. If you want me to talk to her let me know and you can hook up.

Teresa.......it is beautiful and you did a great job with the butterfly. But

after you explained the signifigance of the cross......you better be prepared

for the both of you to shed a few tears. He will love it I am SURE of that.

It trully is a piece of art!;)

Pat,

It was a bear to do, let me tell you that. I had to draw the huge butterfly pattern on newsprint first with a pencil. Then I cut it out and laid it on the quilt to be sure it looked all right. Then I took it off and traced the pencil lines with black marker. Then I taped together freezer paper strips to make 2 4ft x 8ft freezer paper sheets. I traced the butterfly from the newsprint onto one of the freezer paper sheets, then flipped the newsprint paper over, retraced the lines with black marker (from the backside this time) and made a mirror image freezer paper pattern using that.

THEN I put the whole quilt on the frame, used bright thread to baste the whole huge thing. Then I unpinned it from the top front roller, and removed that roller. Rolled the whole quilt back onto the front roller to get ready to quilt it. I took apart the freezer paper strips and spot ironed them one strip at a time as I advanced the quilt. Rather than quilt through the freezer paper I used neon green thread and stitched through the freezer paper with huge long stitches. After I had done the entire quilt I ripped off the freezer paper (very carefully), but left the neon green stitches. This became my quilting pattern. I quilted the quilt following the green lines, and you've seen the result.

Sorry this explanation is so long, but I hope it helps you understand how I did it.

Teresa - Very pretty! And what a wonderful idea - love how you quilted this

it is just great! I agree - you could use this idea and create a pattern for

a wonderful piece.

Did you get you label made? Hope you were able to fix your machine - what

a bummer...:( Let me know if I could help you out otherwise.

Chickscra,

Your butterfly is a winner! Love the textures and density you applied to the design. You say you want to do a whole cloth in black and white! Sounds great. I'd like to see it done in glow in the dark threads on the black side perhaps! Imagine when the lights get turned off! I've done several projects using the photo sensitive threads and that is always a delight when you take into the sun and it comes to life with color. This could be the opposite spectrum. Oooh what about black light sensitive threads......hmm just too many ideas!

I may be just off the road a little but then I do like that part of our freedom to create outside the apex! Great job, you have inspired me with your craftsmanship. I wish I had more time to devote to this passion and produce some of the gems I have in my mental files. Sooner or later they will emerse and become reality. Until then I continue to be amazed at all of the folks who inhabit this family of artists.

My best to all of you.

Gloria

Archived