Butterfly quilt done

Here it is. All but the binding. I'll do that tonight. The picture of the front is kind of dark, but the guy doesn't want his pictures visible to the public, so please look at the quilting, but not his photos. I don't know what photo fabric he used, but it was just like rubber.

post--13461898247518_thumb.jpg

It is kind of hard to see, but the butterfly is done with Superior thread King Tut in color 935 (purple, blue, green) for the most part. The veins in the wings are done with Monopoly, as is the fill behind the butterfly. I had to stitch over the photos because there was too much floating fabric with them being unstitched, so I used the Monopoly on the pictures. Broke 3 needles trying to sew through the photo fabric. When he comes tomorrow to pick it up I'll ask him what brand that photo fabric is, and then I'll NEVER use it. LOL

post--13461898247829_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jeanne and Michele,

I just love the back of it. It is so pretty. I still have the giant butterfly I drew to make the pattern. I'm thinking of putting black fabric on one side and white on the other and then doing a wholecloth using that giant butterfly and some wild neon thread. It would look so cool. Or maybe gold thread on the black side and bright colors on the white side.

This is the first quilt I've done where I actually feel proud, and it's not even perfect.

Oh, wow! Woman, you are awesome! It was hard for me to imagine your butterfly project during the working stages, but now that I've seen the finished result, let me just pause and bow to you with the utmost regards. You did great! I love it. Congratulations, Teresa. You are an inspiration to me!!! Shana

Teresa:

You should be happy with it! It's awesome! I've been wondering lately how many of the amazing show quilts are perfect. I have a feeling not one of them is, though only they know where they aren't happy with it, just like we are with our quilts. I'm not happy with mine unless I feel they are perfect, which means I'll never be totally happy with mine, which isn't the right attitude. A friend of mine told me one time to stand back and look at the overall effect of the quilting and reminded me that's what people normally do. They usually don't look at it looking for flaws. You did one of those jobs on this: the overall effect is absolutely beautiful!

Theresa,

your butterfly is gorgeous!!! You did an awesome job :cool:

A couple of months ago I had a quilt that the lady used the rubber type transfer stuff for a picture on her quilt. She said she bought the transfer stuff at Stapples and Ironed it on (the stuff is meant to be used on T-shirts and not in quilts) but a new person to the quilting world would not know there is a difference between the printable fabric sheets used in quilting vs the iron on transfer sheets used for T-shirts.

Joann

Just a question--I went back and looked at the quilt again and it seems that the pictures are in the shape of a cross?? Is there any significance to that and why you quilted it with an overall butterfly around the pics--Just wondering--I always love quilts that have another message in them than just appears on the first glance!!

The photos are of the guys wife who passed away a couple of years ago, and his family and pets. The cross is in memory of her. The butterfly was evidently her favorite creature. I'm so nervous about him picking it up tomorrow. I'm scared he won't like it, since it is so significant to him.

Teresa.......Your customer will absolutely love what you've done to his quilt....HANDS DOWN GIRL!!! :D

You did a fabulous job ..... pat yourself on the back...and be very proud....Thanks so much for sharing your pictures of this quilt...!!!

Linda B. from Dyersburg

Teresa--

Oh so pretty! Be proud and be ready for lots of happy smiles from your customer.

Maybe you should run with this idea of pictures in a static arrangement with a flowing design quilted on--and do a pattern for sale.

Your quilting was outstanding and the design perfect! Thanks for sharing the finished product.

Linda Rech

Theresa, give yourself a big pat on the back. I have been watching this topic, trying to figure out how you were going to do this, without actually seeing what it was that was getting quilted on the "front".

You have pulled out all the stoppers here, and have absolutely NOTHING to worry about. Be Proud Girl!!!! Cuz sounds like we all are proud of you!

Awsome...Awsome...Job!

He will probably cry tears of joy when he see's it,...dont be surprised!

Oh, Teresa, you did such a lovely job on the butterfly....your customer will love it!

I think that you should run with the idea of the wholecloth with the butterfly. Your colors are great for that too. At MQS there was a two-sided quilt and it was beautiful.

Teresa, this is absolutely sensational!! You really did yourself proud on this. This guy better appreciate what you've done for his project, or never mind him again. This was so much work for you, and it really did come out fantastic. I'd use the back on my website and in my brag book, if I were you, since he doesn't want his pictures shown. I like it better anyway, LOL! Shows YOUR work so nicely. Thanks for sharing it here!

Well, the guy came yesterday to pick up his quilt. He was so happy. He paid me my full fee, even though I was 5 days late finishing it, and he gave me a $20 cash tip. He also promised to tell all his friends and family about it. If I get one more customer it will be better than all the money in the world.

I showed him the picture of the back and he agreed that I could use that picture on the website . He signed the release form.

I'm so happy. Not only did I get to do a really neat project, but I got paid real quilter's pay for this job.

NOW FOR THE PROBLEM I HAVE- I didn't get his I.M.O. label done for the back. I plugged in my embroidery machine, got out the card to create the design, and the machine wouldn't work. We don't know what has happened to it. It was working 2 weeks ago, now it won't work at all. Unless we had a power surge that fried it, I have no idea what's wrong.

So, if anybody has an embroidery machine and would be willing to make the label for me please let me know. I will pay you for your time and trouble. I told him I'd get a label made and mail it to him in the next couple of weeks. He was fine with that, but he wants the label.

Guest Smile&nod

nice work on that butterfly pattern. For some reason the images wouldn't load on my home computer, but the work computer it loads fine (shhh, I'm still on coffee break, so I'm allowed to post :))

Archived